Divining worms

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Marc
Sea Trout

Re: Divining worms

Post by Marc »

Does anyone rate dendrobaena worms? I seem to remember reading that they put fish off, something to do with the yellowish secretion they exude. I have no idea if this is true, but it's always made me mistrust them as a bait.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Prince of Durham wrote:Does anyone rate dendrobaena worms? I seem to remember reading that they put fish off, something to do with the yellowish secretion they exude. I have no idea if this is true, but it's always made me mistrust them as a bait.
I cant get my head round dendos.i went for ages without catching on them and I thought the same thing,the fish don't like them until one day I got a great catch of perch on them.i still don't fully trust them and I would rather go to a manure heap and dig up brandlings.i sat with a mate bream fishing one night and he caught a few good bream and I never got a bite,the difference,he was using a bunch of small brandlings he dug himself and I was using a single dendrobeana.we sat the whole night and I left in disgust early on.he texted me while I was driving home to say he cast into my swim and caught a bream first cast.maybe only perch can hack them.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

JAA

Post by JAA »

Firebird wrote:
Olly wrote:Or buy a "worm farm".
Perhaps you can supply us all from yours.
Prince of Durham wrote:Worm farms sound great but a notoriously difficult to keep alive, you have to make sure it's not too acidic, wet, dense the list goes on. That said if you can manage it they are a good source of worms obviously. I had one going for about 6 months then it just 'got sick' and they all died.
A long time ago I kept lobs in a box of soil. They tended to go right down to the bottom. I don't remember what became of it but worms don't keep that well.
I fill a garden trug almost to the top with moss and a little riddled soil and stick all my worms in it. There are a few tiny holes in the bottom to stop water pooling and I cover the top with an old dustbin lid. In the winter they keep indefinitely, although I turn them over once a week to be sure. Once in use, I then go around the garden every couple of days turning over everything which worms like to be under and chuck them in.

Never done well with dendro's btw, don't buy them any more.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Those little red worms that live in the first few centimetres of leaf debris are great.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Best method I read about on getting worms but never tried it, involved using a car battery, and one simply connects two wires to two metal rods and sticks them into the wet /damp soil several feet apart and within minutes up pop all the worms between the rods. Apparently a very popular method in the States.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Apparently worms gathered this way are best fished static, and one has to hold one's rod because the fish always bolt off because the worms taste shocking!

Hemingway

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Oh dear !
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Bloody brilliant......Oh dear here we go again!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I can't send a link using my mobile, but here's a screen shot of a Google search. Supposed to be very effective way of catching worms.

Hemingway

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

For the last 2 nights i have soaked the garden with the hose,tonight i had 15 mins collecting worms,my lawn is only about 11ft x15ft but this is what i collected
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”