How to collect natural bait?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
SAFisherman
Minnow

How to collect natural bait?

Post by SAFisherman »

Hi guys pretty much as the title reads. How do you collect natural baits and how do you store them? Thanks.

Marc
Sea Trout

Re: How to collect natural bait?

Post by Marc »

Pick slugs up on the way to the head of the stretch, drown them on the way back down and release the lucky ones.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

I pick up lobworms in spring during rainy nights and keep them in a large flower pot in a shadowy corner of the garden.
In summer I catch grasshoppers and put them into a bottle a few hours before fishing. I put that bottle in the fridge so that the grasshoppers get a little numb. They're much easier to handle that way. You just have to keep them cool. As Marc does it with the slugs, I release the lucky ones after fishing.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Plant this in your garden ...

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/43739/i-F ... um/Details

Scour your worms or maggots in the chopped leaves and stalks from summer into autumn.

Collect and store the seeds from the many flowers for use in winter and early spring ... but leave a few flower heads for two reasons ... a) it self seeds so it ensures a good crop for next season ... b) for the chaffinches in winter. They love the seeds (and I love the chaffinches).
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Getting lobs:- Rainy nights with a head torch - await the tap on your shoulder!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Slugs and snails from the garden or on the bank and store in a bucket with greenery
Lobs off the close mown damp lawn after dark with a dim torch and store in damp moss in a bait box in my bait fridge.
Red worms fro manure heaps and brandlings from the compost bin. Keep them in a bait box of compost.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

SAFisherman
Minnow

Post by SAFisherman »

Thanks guys. All this info is much appreciated.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Hemp and tares from a Seed Merchant. Much cheaper!! Cheap cheap!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

OrangeJonny
Dace

Post by OrangeJonny »

I once spoke to an old chap that used to collect wasp grubs.

He used a spade, a tea spoon tied to the end of a bamboo cane.... and a jar of cyanide powder!

He said he would place a tea spoon of cyanide powder at the entrance to the nest so that the returning wasps would walk it into the hive.
A couple of days later he would return and dig up the grubs once the cyanide had taken effect.

Probably a method best confined to the history books...

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

As a lad in cash strapped times we would frequently use caddis larvae. Our nearest pond held large numbers of these useful baits and it was interesting to find the variety of colours the grubs came in ranging through pale pinks to yellows and greens.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”