How to collect natural bait?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Mike Wilson
Perch

Re: How to collect natural bait?

Post by Mike Wilson »

As a kid we used to put an opened umbrella upside down under bushes and beat the branches hard. You would be amazed at the number of caterpillars and other bugs you could collect in minutes.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Me be a little old school do many of you know the term known as " DAPPING "

It's a method that some of us used to use a few years back for summer chubing the idea being that large flies, crane flies and grass hoppers would be lightly hooked and free lined over the top of some marginal reed beds and position the insects on the water surface but without leaving any line on the water,

During the summer months I leave a night light on in one of me old garden sheds with the door tied back, by the morning at first light I'd go out to the shed and collect untold amounts of moths which I then pick up and keep in one of me old disused smaller bird aviaries until I go fishing when I can simply catch back up again,

I've had many a good summer chub with this tactic :Thumb:

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Olly wrote:Getting lobs:- Rainy nights with a head torch - await the tap on your shoulder!
Or as happened to me one dark night, the twin barrels of a 12-bore shotgun in your face!

A neighbour, creeping home from a lock-in at the local pub, decided to arrest me. :surrender:

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Banksy wrote:
Olly wrote:Getting lobs:- Rainy nights with a head torch - await the tap on your shoulder!
Or as happened to me one dark night, the twin barrels of a 12-bore shotgun in your face!

A neighbour, creeping home from a lock-in at the local pub, decided to arrest me. :surrender:
:shocked: .......jeez, is it worth it, I must admit I used to go out during all hours of a damp night with me head lamp and can tell you that I've had a few very close shaves from being pulled up by the police :whistle:
Don't look good walking about at night with a head lamp stuck to me head ,

Na.....not for me any more.....I'd much sooner go out to me local shop and get a loaf of bread :dance2:

Apart from the fact that I can can catch better and more roach and chub on bread anyway :Hahaha:

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”