The price of Maggots

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: The price of Maggots

Post by Loop Erimder »

Don't often buy maggots really...so would have no idea if I was being ripped off and also I'll buy other bits and bobs so wouldn't even know how much they cost..... bought half a pint the other day for the crucian day with wagtail Mal et al...no idea how much they were but I spent 20 quid altogether
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Thankyou

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Loop Erimder wrote:Don't often buy maggots really...so would have no idea if I was being ripped off
Same for me, I bet I only purchased two lots of maggots last season and that would have been half a pint at a time.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Wild Duck
Gudgeon

Post by Wild Duck »

£2.50 a pint up here in the frozen North, it does have some advantages :)

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Paul D wrote:
Hovis wrote:£2 up er in the grim north. From a shop supplying match man supplies. Guess it's their bread and butter trade.
The place I'm forced to use is also geared towards our friends the match men as well as the bivvy boys. I guess he realises he's the only tackle shop for miles so can charge what he likes. :rant:
I love our local tackle shop. It's still the sort of place where the local lads go in with a pocket full of change and ask how many maggots they can get-they never come out empty handed. Guess it's an investment for the future.

We have a pretty active match scene up this way and they support this particular shop. Why? It's cheap, well run, friendly and supplies great bait at a very good price. I certainly go out of my way to buy my bait from there. Guess you reap what you sow.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

I do like to use maggot from time to time - mainly because a) Trotting is really good fun and maggots almost guarantee a bite and b) I find comfort in proving to myself that there are at least some silverfish that haven't yet been decimated by cormorants, crayfish, mink, otters et al.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Hovis wrote:
Paul D wrote:
Hovis wrote:£2 up er in the grim north. From a shop supplying match man supplies. Guess it's their bread and butter trade.
The place I'm forced to use is also geared towards our friends the match men as well as the bivvy boys. I guess he realises he's the only tackle shop for miles so can charge what he likes. :rant:
I love our local tackle shop. It's still the sort of place where the local lads go in with a pocket full of change and ask how many maggots they can get-they never come out empty handed. Guess it's an investment for the future.

We have a pretty active match scene up this way and they support this particular shop. Why? It's cheap, well run, friendly and supplies great bait at a very good price. I certainly go out of my way to buy my bait from there. Guess you reap what you sow.
What is the name of that shop,they deserve a mention,not like the one I mentioned in a earlier post.

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

Match Aerial wrote:If I remember correctly I think it was Hull Angling Centre
They certainly did sell maggots at £1/pint in some of teh shops in Hull but I don't know if they still do which is why I didn't mention it earlier.

Maggots are such a great bait because you can keep a constant stream of bait going into the swim. On rivers it's the nearest you can get to imitating a hatch.

One interesting observation is that casters, at least when used on a river, generally produce a bigger stamp of fish. I have my theory why this happens. I wonder if anyone else has a theory?
Last edited by Phil Arnott on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

I've worked in Nottingham a while back and I used to go into a shop called Matchmen Supplies which was a very good shop. The shop had a match team and I used to watch them practicing around Trent Bridge.

I fished the Trent near the bridge a few times and managed to catch a tench which could be seen bubbling in the edge near where the little dyke runs in a bit further downstream from the cricket ground.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Tizer wrote:
Hovis wrote:
Paul D wrote:

What is the name of that shop,they deserve a mention,not like the one I mentioned in a earlier post.
The places is called angling supplies. Affectionately know as Greg's
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”