Black (Puy) Lentils

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Pallenpool
Zander

Black (Puy) Lentils

Post by Pallenpool »

I was wondering if anyone has used black lentils as a feed and/or hookbait? From the sealed packet they smell pretty good and I imagine would be suitable as a carrier for any number of flavourings.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Black (Puy) Lentils

Post by Dave Burr »

Back in the day Lentils were used by Rod Hutchinson - along with every other pulse bean or seed he could get hold of. I would imagine they's be a good attractant or useful when trotting for roach etc. If you think they look good then give 'em a go.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Pallenpool wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:45 pm I was wondering if anyone has used black lentils as a feed and/or hookbait? From the sealed packet they smell pretty good and I imagine would be suitable as a carrier for any number of flavourings.
I don’t know if this is any help but the Black (or Beluga) Lentil and Puy Lentil are different. The Black is a very small lentil that is jet black (named Beluga because of its supposed resemblance to caviar!). The Puy Lentil is mottled slate grey and green.

I have no experience of using lentils as bait but I have cooked both and the Puy keeps a good solid form and skin. It would, in my opinion, make a decent hookable bait like Hemp. Black lentils need a shorter cooking time or they turn to mush.

One other lentil that may be worth looking at is the Castelluccio from Italy. Like Puy, they have a thick skin and don’t disintegrate when cooked so may well make a useable hookbait. They are shades of brown in colour. Mind you, I agree with those who think them the tastiest lentil, they are certainly the most expensive, and I’d be inclined to stick to using them in Italian sausage stew a la Antonio Carluccio!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:11 pm Back in the day Lentils were used by Rod Hutchinson - along with every other pulse bean or seed he could get hold of. I would imagine they's be a good attractant or useful when trotting for roach etc. If you think they look good then give 'em a go.
Thankyou Dave, I knew Rod had used the red lentils for various concoctions in paste baits and as loose feed - I may at some distant time have used them alongside other pulses and seeds in mixes - but I never did use them as a hook bait - I seem to recall Kevin Maddocks (possibly) using lentils (flavoured) and gluing them to the hook! But as you rightly say if you thought of it give it a go - I may just do so.
Thankyou for the reply.
Peter
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Duckett wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:19 pm
Pallenpool wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:45 pm I was wondering if anyone has used black lentils as a feed and/or hookbait? From the sealed packet they smell pretty good and I imagine would be suitable as a carrier for any number of flavourings.
I don’t know if this is any help but the Black (or Beluga) Lentil and Puy Lentil are different. The Black is a very small lentil that is jet black (named Beluga because of its supposed resemblance to caviar!). The Puy Lentil is mottled slate grey and green.

I have no experience of using lentils as bait but I have cooked both and the Puy keeps a good solid form and skin. It would, in my opinion, make a decent hookable bait like Hemp. Black lentils need a shorter cooking time or they turn to mush.

One other lentil that may be worth looking at is the Castelluccio from Italy. Like Puy, they have a thick skin and don’t disintegrate when cooked so may well make a useable hookbait. They are shades of brown in colour. Mind you, I agree with those who think them the tastiest lentil, they are certainly the most expensive, and I’d be inclined to stick to using them in Italian sausage stew a la Antonio Carluccio!
Thanks for your reply Sir - and all the info - pertaining to the Puy lentils - I wholeheartedly concur that they do look just about right from the bag for a hookbait - however if I wanted to enhance them with a flavour I would think it better to buy some dried ones and go from there. I have never heard of the Italian Castelluccio lentil - I don’t know about the fishing angle but I fancy trying those out myself especially in a stew - mmmm - YUM.
A lot to think about and Thankyou once again for taking the time to reply informatively- it’s very much appreciated.
Peter

Heraclitus

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Pallenpool wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:55 pm

Thanks for your reply Sir - and all the info - pertaining to the Puy lentils - I wholeheartedly concur that they do look just about right from the bag for a hookbait - however if I wanted to enhance them with a flavour I would think it better to buy some dried ones and go from there. I have never heard of the Italian Castelluccio lentil - I don’t know about the fishing angle but I fancy trying those out myself especially in a stew - mmmm - YUM.
A lot to think about and Thankyou once again for taking the time to reply informatively- it’s very much appreciated.
Peter
That’s a pleasure Peter. It’s not often my interests in food and fishing intersect. Just one thing about cooking them. Add any flavourings you want to try out when you cook the lentils. They are like sponges and absorb everything they are cooked with. Once boiling, just keep checking for firmness.

One last thing, if I tried this i’d be inclined to save the water to moisten any groundbait I planned to use. I’d love to hear how you get on.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Duckett wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:57 pm
Pallenpool wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:55 pm

Peter
That’s a pleasure Peter. It’s not often my interests in food and fishing intersect. Just one thing about cooking them. Add any flavourings you want to try out when you cook the lentils. They are like sponges and absorb everything they are cooked with. Once boiling, just keep checking for firmness.

One last thing, if I tried this i’d be inclined to save the water to moisten any groundbait I planned to use. I’d love to hear how you get on.

Phil
Thankyou again Phil, I will be trying them at some point in the coming season - and I will update you accordingly - oh and yes! Definitely will be using the lentil stock in a mix :Thumb: it will be interesting to see what occurs.
Peter

Heraclitus

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”