Prawns for perch

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Fred
Grayling

Re: Prawns for perch

Post by Fred »

I use king Prunes cooked or uncooked and have caught perch well over 3lb on hole and small peaces of prawn. So good luck. :fish:
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Fred wrote:I use king Prunes cooked or uncooked and have caught perch well over 3lb on hole and small peaces of prawn. So good luck. :fish:
Fred ,,,,, king Prunes ? :Wink:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I use cooked prawns, often several on the hook, on a size 6 or 8 when carp fishing and I often catch perch in the process. Even a modest perch has got a relatively big mouth. If you find yourself into perch strike quickly or risk deep hooking – or at least that's my experience.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

Ljm183 wrote:
Fred wrote:I use king Prunes cooked or uncooked and have caught perch well over 3lb on hole and small peaces of prawn. So good luck. :fish:
Fred ,,,,, king Prunes ? :Wink:
I know spelling was never my forte :doh:
Also thanks for bringing those rod bag round they are spot on. :Thumb:
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Sooriski

Post by Sooriski »

A very useful thread. Thank you very much. :Chuckle:

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

I bet they don't half go, if they take a prune.
niceroach

MHC

Post by MHC »

Maybe it is just me, but I don't remember reading of prawns being used for perch traditionally speaking. Just perused Still Water Angling and Walker does not mention using them either.

As an aside, I used to keep small smallmouth and large mouth bass (also members of the perch family) in an aquarium and at a pinch they would take strips of ham from my fingers. I would suspect that strips of ham, or indeed any meat, would also work for perch under a float.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

MHC wrote:Maybe it is just me, but I don't remember reading of prawns being used for perch traditionally speaking. Just perused Still Water Angling and Walker does not mention using them either.

As an aside, I used to keep small smallmouth and large mouth bass (also members of the perch family) in an aquarium and at a pinch they would take strips of ham from my fingers. I would suspect that strips of ham, or indeed any meat, would also work for perch under a float.
Yes at the pond where I catch a lot of 2lb perch they take meat intended for carp. I guess any protein goes....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

You certainly don't go short of the runs when you use prunes as bait :Cool: . W B . :Scared:

JimmyR
Perch

Post by JimmyR »

Ok Guys here is the question, we all know we cannot eat refrozen foods, Prawns would be a potential Killer, so please tell me, how many times do you refreeze prawn used as Bait, just curious, as to whether they lose their effectiveness if used a second trip.

Thanks.
The brotherhood of the angle.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”