Crucian after dark?

This forum is for discussing crucian.
Trilob
Chub

Crucian after dark?

Post by Trilob »

Hey Guys,

Does anyone have experience with fishing (or even better; catching) crusians after dark?

There is this water with loads of roach, orfe and rudd. There is also a small percentage of goldfish and crusian. I've been there before and fished a full day to only catch the first three. Now I'm thinking about going there in the summer but I also want to go there asap. With work and winter (ive been told crusian is a 'summer' fish) I can only fish there after dark. So my question is. Do I have a change or should I postpone till summer and spend my spare time fishing for other species?

thanks,
Dirk :Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Crucian after dark?

Post by Olly »

I find them far more active after dark - when there are many anglers fishing during the day. I stop crucian fishing in late September/early October depending on the weather conditions.

I have caught them in the first hour or two of darkness and would never fish for them all through the night and usually home and in bed before midnight. I normally float fish with a starlight at the top of the float. Hooks and the bait can a be a little larger at night. Bread flake, one/two grains of corn, small flavoured pellets (strawberry usually) or paste. I try to avoid maggots as everything else eats them! So 3 or 4lb line and size 14 or 12 (even 10) for hooks and fish in the margin under my 14 ft rod's tip.

Others ledger with feeder bolt rigs so they can stay all night but that is not what I enjoy.

I have caught French carp - Prussian or crucians? - using carp tactics but they obviously cannot but up a fight much on heavy carp gear!

JAA

Re: Crucian after dark?

Post by JAA »

They will bite after dark, especially if they're hard fished day-time. They'll also caught after dusk into October in some places, well after you think they're gone for the year.

Return to “Crucian (Carassius carassius)”