Best approach and bait?

This forum is for discussing crucian.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Best approach and bait?

Post by Mark »

Not far away from where I live is a small farm pond about just over an acre in size. It is very rarely fished, infact in the last three years since I first discovered the pond I have never seen anyone else fish there. It holds some lovely crucian carp so I am told by the farmer’s son, two and a half pound plus. The pool is 4’ deep at one end sloping to around 8’ at the other, this time of year I tend to fish the deeper end of the pool. I cannot manage to catch a crucian bigger than 6 to 8oz.

I normally float fish with 6lb line and a 12 hook, mostly with bread on the hook and a golf ball size of bread mash being thrown in about every ten minutes. The reason for the heavy set up is that this pool also has a few big carp in it which are inclined to take the bread now and again, my biggest being a lovely golden scale perfect 10lb 9oz common.

Anyway gentleman what would you suggest the best approach and bait would be to catch the bigger crucians.

Some pictures of the pond are here.

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... 610#p15610
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Best approach and bait?

Post by Loop Erimder »

sorry cant help with approach but i would be interested in location of pool to give it a go
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Even with carp in thre I would still use lighter line Mark, 4lbs should still make landing a rogue 10lbs carp possible. :)

Also I would try a size 14 hook as I have always found crucians to be very picky with hook size, maybe even go down to a 16,

Float wise I would recommend a porky, again in my experience crucians will bolt the second they feel resistance and a light porky will give hardly any and be very sensitive to bites.

As for bait I've always found maggots (usually red) to be a good crucian bait and small worms and if you don't mind going "none traditional" for a bit then soft hook pellets are great as the also hide the hook a bit. :thumb:

Just my 2p worth anyway. :hat:

If you ever want some company while there let me know Mark, I love crucians. :ok:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the info JT. :thumb:

Have you ever caught any on sweetcorn, I’m going to give that ago, perhaps tomorrow if the weather is not too bad.

Let me see if there is some truth to the big ones before you trek all the way up here JT, you know your more than welcome.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I'll join you tomorrow Mark if you want some company
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I've not as yet caught on sweetcorn but to be fare I suspect the only reason for that is I always forget to take some with me. :chuckle:

It's worth a go I say. :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I generally catch the Crucians on sweetcorn at lake side and at Weston lawns

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

loop erimder wrote:I'll join you tomorrow Mark if you want some company
It depends on the weather Loop, I will be going around 11am. If you are online in the morning I will let you know for definate. It cost's £4.00 to fish the pool that is if they bother to collect it.
Mark (Administrator)

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I was planning going quite early as its suppose to be sunny in the morning, looking at forecast there is rain due early afternoon

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I`d agree with JT, for me it would be 3½Ib – 4Ib, with a soft action rod……

Return to “Crucian (Carassius carassius)”