This forum is for discussing crucian.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Best approach and bait?

Post by Mark »

Even more food for thought, thanks for that Sean. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I once fished a swim on the canal at Longbridge, a known crucian swim with a lovely overhanging bush, they were always under it. I remember one afternoon I thought they’d gone, not a sniff on the usual grain of sweetcorn, but then I had a brainwave and cut a grain in half, I started to get twitches but nothing I could hit. Next I cut the grain into quarters, 1lb crucian next cast and that continued throughout the afternoon.

Now the fish were there, but it took me to use quarter of a grain o get a positive bite, does make you think doesn’t it…………
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:I once fished a swim on the canal at Longbridge, a known crucian swim with a lovely overhanging bush, they were always under it. I remember one afternoon I thought they’d gone, not a sniff on the usual grain of sweetcorn, but then I had a brainwave and cut a grain in half, I started to get twitches but nothing I could hit. Next I cut the grain into quarters, 1lb crucian next cast and that continued throughout the afternoon.

Now the fish were there, but it took me to use quarter of a grain o get a positive bite, does make you think doesn’t it…………
On my trip with FB he mentioned that someone had told him that sometimes squeezing out the insides and just hooking the skin of sweetcorn can work when bites are very tentative.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Yes, I believe that approach was developed by matchman Steve Ringer. I'm sure I've heard corn skins being called "dead goldfish" by watchmen, but a quick Google has turned up nothing, so it might just be my fevered imagination.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I had my biggest Crucian, 2lb 12oz on corn.

Alas the lake where I caught it is but a shadow of its old self.

If I have trouble in the summer i will think of the 18/20 half/quarter piece appoach.

Gaz

Return to “Crucian (Carassius carassius)”