Winter Crucians?

This forum is for discussing crucian.
Mushy
Arctic Char

Re: Winter Crucians?

Post by Mushy »

Good point DA, but its still been cold at night and I wonder whether the water would really warm up that quickly just after one day, but you may well be right, lets see.... I really should carry a thermometer but fear it may affect my enthusiasm !
Best Fishes
Mushy

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

I caught some back in February when the temperature was somewhere around brass monkeys and there had been ice on the water in the morning

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

My personal experience is that when I was catching 'crucians' and it was cold it invariably turned out that they weren't actually crucians but either goldfish or hybrids both of which seem to feed in much colder conditions.

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

This is the one I caught in Feb.
The scale count was correct as I recall, but I couldn't say for certain it's a cru
viewtopic.php?f=224&t=5302

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Blackadder wrote:This is the one I caught in Feb.
The scale count was correct as I recall, but I couldn't say for certain it's a cru
viewtopic.php?f=224&t=5302
That's what I might call 'Schroedinger's crucian'! It might be a crucian x goldfish which would account for catching it in cold conditions, or a true crucian that fed anyway; very hard to be sure. It's a bit like roach; rare to catch them with the water temps below 42F but still possible to get the odd one.

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

I've had crucians in the winter months but only with a water temp over about 50 degrees. Unfortunately brown goldfish and other hybrids are more willing to feed in winter so you can easily get a false picture.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

With the weather here still quite mild for the time of year here's a winter crucian of 3lb 10oz - I believe the scale count to be true.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Mushy wrote:Good point DA, but its still been cold at night and I wonder whether the water would really warm up that quickly just after one day, but you may well be right, lets see.... I really should carry a thermometer but fear it may affect my enthusiasm !
I don't usually take the temperature until I am ready to leave. It doesn't put you off then but you can still get to build a picture of each different venue for the future.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

JerryC wrote:With the weather here still quite mild for the time of year here's a winter crucian of 3lb 10oz - I believe the scale count to be true.
That's a lovely fish Jerry.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

JerryC wrote:With the weather here still quite mild for the time of year here's a winter crucian of 3lb 10oz - I believe the scale count to be true.
Out of interest, what was the scale count?

As you say we have had some mild weather lately. Today was weird ; at 9am it about 6C air temps but driving into Poole a heavy frost and some black ice in the supermarket car park 3 miles down the road. By this afternoon 12C!

Return to “Crucian (Carassius carassius)”