Winter Crucians?

This forum is for discussing crucian.
The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Winter Crucians?

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Is there such a thing?

Just wondered if it was worth targetting them through the colder months or whether they shut up shop as do the tench.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

MGs
Pike

Re: Winter Crucians?

Post by MGs »

I had a bit of success with them a couple of years ago. I had several over the space of a few months. However, fishing the same water last year, I didn't catch one, even in the summer. So it may be a bit hit and miss. Worth noting that it was very cold when I did catch them.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I reckon the small Epping Forest ones would still feed.,esp in the ponds were there's not much else.

You might want to contact Marsh Farm SK to see if their Cru's feed ok during the winter.

I'm probably going to leave the Cru's until June.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Crucians are quite temperature sensitive in day time. One of the clues you may not be catching true winter crucians but instead F1 carp x crucians or brown goldfish is if you are catching in water temperatures below 50F or 10C. Both F1s and goldfish will feed down to at least 45F or about 7C. I have caught crucians through the winter in daylight but on very mild days. Peter Wheat caught crucians in much colder conditions a couple of years ago but only in the middle of teh night; true crucians as well! Just shows how little we know sometimes!

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Gaz

Marsh was on my mind, hence the post. Quite fancy a stab at them next weekend so will call and see what's happening.

DaceAce

Peter Rolfe said the same thing, ref catching them at night throught he winter, so I reckon there must be some truth in it.

As I won't be coarse angling through the close season this time around I quite fancy trying for them before this season shuts.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Interesting question SK, looking back over my journals the last Crucian I caught was on 17th November. I've fished twice since and not a touch except some lovely little roach last Sunday. Since November all bites have come after dark, I'll keep plugging away and let you know if I have any success.

It may be that once the cold water temperatures stabilise they might start feeding again :Beg:
Best Fishes
Mushy

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Let's hope so sir.. :cheers:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Well SK they're feeding again on my little pond, had a lovely 2iber at 5.00 pm last night, didn't take a pic unfortunately, too excited to think properly :Confused:
Best Fishes
Mushy

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Mushy wrote:Well SK they're feeding again on my little pond, had a lovely 2iber at 5.00 pm last night, didn't take a pic unfortunately, too excited to think properly :Confused:
I always do that with weighing fish. Far too excited to think about that. I always admire the fish, takes its photograph and then, just as I've slipped it back my mate shouts: "didn't you want to weigh it?!". If I'm fishing alone I never think about it until someone asks how big it was or I'm writing a journal.

I have no idea as to the size of my PB perch, grayling, roach or pike because I always forget to weigh them! :Brickwall:

There is a pool I know that has them to only about a pound, with hundreds of tiny ones. I might have a go for them on a warmer day if I don't get too detracted by the pike and my new passion - trotting for grayling.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Mushy wrote:Well SK they're feeding again on my little pond, had a lovely 2iber at 5.00 pm last night, didn't take a pic unfortunately, too excited to think properly :Confused:

The temperature might have been key yesterday. Down here in Dorset we had up to 13C in sheltered spots this weekend! If the water was over 10C again that would be enough.

Return to “Crucian (Carassius carassius)”