chub rig

This forum is for discussing chub.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: chub rig

Post by Santiago »

As above, but I would emphasise how important it is to hold the rod and touch leger to feel for their tugs. Chub have a tendency just to tug once or twice at a bait and then move on if they become suspicious. To hit these sharp short tugs it helps to hold the rod and also to have a short hook length between the hook and whatever weight one uses. I now seem to catch more if I strike at the first or second tug. Chub bites can be quite distinctive when legering!! And one rarely gets the third tug unless they've hooked themselves already.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

Snape wrote:
Paul D wrote:6lb line straight through too a size 8/6, knob of plasticine, sorted :Hat:
That does it for me too.
I'm with these two as well.
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

I've no idea if I'm after picky chub! There are plenty of unseen snags where I fish so the simpler the better sounds good. Will try straight through and change to something more sophisticated if I'm not getting bites :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

I can't seem to get the hang of touch ledgering. It might be because I don't have the best sense of feeling in my fingers (according to a work colleague I have 'special fingers' as I hold things in an unusual manner too) - but whatever the reason I tend to only 'feel' bites when the rod tip whacks round....
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

The trick is to point the rod at the place the line enters the water, pull a little line between the butt ring and the reel and just hold it lightly. I prefer to use my thumb and forefinger but I know others just have it across there finger :Hat:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Wagtail wrote:I can't seem to get the hang of touch ledgering. It might be because I don't have the best sense of feeling in my fingers (according to a work colleague I have 'special fingers' as I hold things in an unusual manner too) - but whatever the reason I tend to only 'feel' bites when the rod tip whacks round....
Touch ledgering is my favourite method esp for chub and barbel.
I hold the rod pointing straight to where the line enters the water and tighten up until I just feel the resistance of the lead.
I then hold the line between thumb and forefinger with my thumb on the top of the line and I rotate it towards myself so the line goes over my forefinger, then I rest my middle and ring fingers on the top of the line and push it down so it is below the forefinger. I don't why I hold it like this but it feels natural and gives excellent bite detection.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

PaulD and Snape - thanks for the tips, I will have to try again

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Wagtail wrote:PaulD and Snape - thanks for the tips, I will have to try again
Once you get used to it, it's addictive!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

A swing tip added whilst the rivers are high like they are works very well and helps to single out bites from debris.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

6lb Maxima ; small swivel joining hooklength to main line; running link swivel with bomb between 1/8oz and 3/4 oz (only would use swan shot on waters with far lower flow and depth than mine ) ; hooklength normally 7lb or 8 bs Reflo or Ultima (shock horror- but bear with me - Maxima is always stronger than its advertised bs and short hooklengths break easily, meaning breaks are always on hooklength and not main line );rubber bead above line swivel ; size 4 or 6 Drennan widegape barbless. Job done.

If you believe in the crap Anglers Mail publishes you use a 2.5oz bomb , a size 10 and hair rigged boilie for chub - in Summer....

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”