chub rig

This forum is for discussing chub.
ExeAngler
Chub

chub rig

Post by ExeAngler »

Can anyone please recommend a reliable Chub Rig for Ledger or Feeder fishing. Ever straight though or without a hook length. I would rather fish straight though if possible having lost a few to hook lengths snapping. What bs line for you use for this rig? I lost a good chub today and not a happy chappie...

Paul D

Re: chub rig

Post by Paul D »

6lb line straight through too a size 8/6, knob of plasticine, sorted :Hat:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Paul D wrote:6lb line straight through too a size 8/6, knob of plasticine, sorted :Hat:
Same as Paul but I use the Fred J Taylor loop with SSG on it and a BB as a stop shot.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I don't bother with the loop as it serves little purpose. Just pinch the swan shot lightly on the line. A string of swan shot soaked at 6in intervals holds a lot better than a bomb.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I am with Sean just put the shot straight on the line 6lb straight through

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Paul D wrote:6lb line straight through too a size 8/6, knob of plasticine, sorted :Hat:
That does it for me too.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Does for me as well, as simple as possible is what you want.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Does the plasticine hold on the line all by itself, or does it need something like a split shot pinched on the line for it to grip on to?
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

A small shot, swivel or stop knot will all give plasticine purchase on the line. If the chub are finicky it always pays to use either a running lead through a running link swivel or a paternoster.

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

Dave Burr wrote:A small shot, swivel or stop knot will all give plasticine purchase on the line. If the chub are finicky it always pays to use either a running lead through a running link swivel or a paternoster.
That's sound advice for picky chub. Straight through is preferable though, pinch on as little weight as you can get away with, say 6 to 12 inches from the hook/bait.

Ted

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”