Tricky Trent Chub

This forum is for discussing chub.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Tricky Trent Chub

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I couldn't have answered better than Bob on this one. I have done lots of chub angling over the years on the Trent and the big secret to converting extra bites into hooked fish on largish baits is being quick enough to allow a little slack. Basically 'don't let them feel you' and they will take the bait back properly rather than snatching with their lips.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

A big thank you to one and all,I will give it a go on my next outing and post the results.......Bob splendid fish,I live in hope

Martin

Post by Martin »

Have you tried fishing upstream with as light a lead/feeder you can get away with then allow a bow in the line to form, every bite will be a drop back as they often hook themselves against the weight

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Depending upon which part of the Trent is being angled a lot of the swims a rig moving a few inches whilst settling is often a snagged rig, certainly in a lot of the close in swims I fish which is also where the chub seem to feed at their most confident. A slightly larger running lead than you need to 'just hold' I find better for loose line touch legering so as not to end up up and down the bank trying to free snagged gear.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

One thing that has worked well for me if I'm getting unhittable bites is to use a small inch of flake around the eye or the spade of the hook. For example use a pinch the same size as you'd use on a size 16 on a size 12 hook.

The above has worked really well when giving line has failed. The chub don't seem to be able to cope with the large hook small bait set up.

The rivers I fish for chub don't have too many nuisance fish though!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Stef
Rudd

Post by Stef »

Apart from too much resistance another reason for unhittable bites could be that the chub are not feeding in confidence. I have spotted some chub this summer in my local river and threw in few pieces of rolled breadflake which at first attracted some small fish. After the small ones started feeding some bigger chub appeared and they seemed to be very nervous, picking the bread and bolting off for several yards before dropping it. They held the bread just between their lips for the whole time. It was only after a long period of constant feeding in small intervalls that they gained confidence.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

blimey even more great tips,I concentrate my efforts on a short stretch of the Trent at Colwick near Nottingham,it is walking distance to home and has produced some big chub ,alot of the fish come at close range and yes they know all the snags,only yesterday a fellow club member lost a big fish to a snag,so all your advice will be taken on board .

Barbus

Post by Barbus »

So how is the Chubbing going this winter Trentfisher?. I have a LEVAS ticket myself, but have been put off by some stories of cars being broken into while in the Car park near the Marina.
My best so far is 6.5 but I now know of bigger Chub coming out.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Bob Brookes wrote:You say you are touch ledgering! Try holding the line between the reel and the first eye AWAY from the rod. As soon as you feel an indication let it go, giving Mr Chub some free line. This often results in a confident take and a fish on. A similar principle to James, but suits your touch fishing style. The slack line from the rod tip is not always possible in the heavy flow of a river like the Trent. My biggest of 6.09 came from the Trent using this method.
Bob

Very true words indeed, for a number of years I've touch ledgered, I've actually lost count...lols, I tend to fish a very similar way to how Martin James fishes ,

I would start off with the absolute lightest of weight I could possibly get away with, this in itself will help a lot,
I use swan shots but never ever bulk em together, this I think is where a lot of people go wrong,

Space your shot on the main line at about 1 inches apart with the closest shot nearest to the hook let's say about 3-4 inches.

The reason for spacing the shot is....as the fish picks up the bait very cautiously it feels the first shot but is not necessarily alarmed because it's obviously used to picking up food items that are gonna have a certain degree of resistance anyway :Wink:

The fish then continues to move a little more and feels another shot but again not necessarily spooked, just those couple of inches or so of picking up the bait not have the cause to panic is sometimes enough to be hooked which brings me on to touch ledgering.

With this method there's a couple of ways how it can be done A ) holding the rod and resting the line on yer index finger....and B ) holding the line between the reel and butt ring of rod, personally I prefer to just rest the line on me index finger whilst holding the rod,
I will also say that it also does pay to use a seat or in my case a small stall as I travel light and rove a fair few swims in a day,
By doing this you'll be more comfortable than just sitting directly on the bank,

It also helps by having a front rod rest directly in front of you to take any movement out of the equation :Thumb:

Your first indication a lot of the time would be a typical dink which you'd probably feel but not necessarily see on the tip of yer rod, you can sometimes see the line straighten as it does this, if you've had an indication I've always carefully pulled about 1 ft of line off of the reel and now sit and push the rod forward as much as you can but still remaining as comfortable as poss as it may be a few minutes before the fish gains more confidence in moving the bait again, hopefully the line will tighten up and start to pull the tip just enough to be able to hit into :dance2:

I hope this info helps anyone who is perhaps new to touch ledgering or just simply needs to brush up there skills :Hat:

All the best and tight lines

Stuart

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”