Strange coloured tench

This forum is for discussing tench.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: Strange coloured tench

Post by Liphook »

Olly wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:01 pm Yes, Golden Tench do have these strange black markings on parts of their bodies & fins.

What is an artificial - a non-native? Carp (excluding Crucian), Orfe, Grass carp, Sturgeon species - - goldfish - ? Some are fun to catch - some it can get boring - some can do irreparable damage - Motherless Minnows!
The word I used was ornimental Olly not artificial. All farm reared fish could be considered artificial but with ornamental's there's a very distinct difference. I understand that rainbow trout, king carp etc are non native but have their role to play in modern angling. But fish specifically bred for their ability to be seen and indeed viewed are a few steps too far for me

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

It's OrcaTinka the Killer Tench.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Well carp were ornamental and for food! Watch & decide which you fancied - rather like lobsters!

I have had a day on an ornamental pond of an acre in a friends garden stocked with various coloured fish and normal ones, black/brown/red/white/etc goldfish - some shubunkin type others fanfails! A few koi of various hues as well. A great day - yes! But everyday no not for me.

However a club I belong to has a water previously being an ornamental pond - produced a gold grass carp - never seen one before especially near 30lbs!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

It's genitically what we call a mosiac. It's a hybrid between an albino and a normal coloured tench. I forget the genitics but you see similar patternation in cows and other animals, and also plants.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

""The incidence of albinism can be artificially increased in fish by exposing the eggs to heavy metals (e.g. arsenic, cadmium, copper, mercury, selenium, zinc).""

I wonder if that has any significance?

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Olly, those chemicals cause random mutations. I suspect most of the eggs subjected to these chemicals will die, those that survive will either be normal or have one or several mutations that don't affect their vitality much. One mutation in the pigmentation may produce an albino. So long as this fish has no diliterious mutation it will thrive just as much as the wild type, although it will be more susceptible to being preyed upon.

Hemingway

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Santiago wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:07 pm It's genitically what we call a mosiac. It's a hybrid between an albino and a normal coloured tench. I forget the genitics but you see similar patternation in cows and other animals, and also plants.
So it's a Friesian tench :tea:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Exactly!

Hemingway

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

This is from a Dutch tench fishing site, it's a blue'ish grey tench..Image

John Harding
Rudd

Post by John Harding »

I caught a tench in one of my club's ponds a few years ago which was a very light grey colour, in fact I caught it on two separate occasions, every other tench I caught there was the normal olive green colour.

Regards,
John

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”