2015 Tench

This forum is for discussing tench.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

2015 Tench

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I went coarse fishing today for the first time since the TFF trip to the Wye, which I think was October 2014.

Boring health problems prevented me from fishing last Autumn but today I had an impulse to catch some Tench. It felt very odd loading my gear into the car, such a lot of stuff. I decided to use my MkIV with a Mitchell 300, it just feels right.

I got to the lake at about 11:00am and decided to sit facing the sun, I thought it was going to be overcast all day. It wasn't. The sun beat down all afternoon and I had no food or drink. Mistake.

I took my black plastiscine (thanks Shaun) to experiment with. The lake is full of lilies and the tench live in the weeds. I used 6lb Fox Illusion fluorocarbon straight through to a barbless size 8 hook. I always use luncheon meat at this lake as the Tench love it. I had a take first cast and missed it. I was a bit out of practice. Second cast into the weeds resulted in a Tench of about 3lb. The Tench in this lake are very large, 6lb fish are common, 7lb fish are caught occasionally and this year I am hoping for an 8lb fish. I don't weigh anything unless I think its over 7lb.

The fish were taking the luncheon meat on the drop as it fell through the stems of the lily pads. The MkIV was powerful enough to get the fish out but I wish is was a little longer, 11 foot would be ideal.

After about an hour I had caught 10 Tench and one of the fish was particularly nice, it weighed about 3 lb, possibly more.

The afternoon was very hot. The Tench at the lake feed in bright sun, they cruise just under the pads and feed on snails and hatching flies. After a few more tench I hooked into a much bigger fish and I immediately thought '7lb Tench'. Unfortunately it was a carp.

I worked hard all afternoon and eventually ran out of bait. The final tally was 37 Tench between 3lb and 6lb and 1 carp.

Not bad for my first outing of 2015. When I got home, Her Ladyship had cake and wine waiting. A perfect end to a great afternoon.

(PS I forgot the pain killers and my right arm had a bit of a hammering)

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: 2015 Tench

Post by Mark »

Nice one.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I thought that the last photo was of the pain killer !!! :Wink:

A splendid day by the sound of it, Sir. Well done indeed !!! :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

AC,

600mg Neurofen and a glass of Shiraz is an excellent combination, I'm feeling better already :-)

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Sofa, Sir ... g & t and Zapain has the same effect ! Hurrah !!! :cheers:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Glad to hear you are back on the bank SofaSurfer and a great day by the looks of it !
Best Fishes
Mushy

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Wonderful post glad you enjoyed it .
Bumble

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

:Cool: What a cracking day ss, well done

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Stunning result :Hat:
37 tench between 3 and 6 lb .....in April.... That must be the only water in the UK where you could possibly achieve that. :shocked:
If only there were more tench waters where that sort of quality ( and quantity) tench fishing could be enjoyed.
I cant imagine ever achieving an outcome like that anywhere in the waters we have today.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Julian,

My previous best catch was 24 Tench to 6lb and I didn't think I would ever beat that. I packed up about 6:00pm because I had run out of bait and I was completely exhausted. With a bit more bait and something to drink I could have stayed until dusk. The lake was stocked with 200 female tench many years ago and the original stock now average over 3lb. Good planning and excellent fishery management have produced these results, it could be done anywhere :-)

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”