hard day on canal

This forum is for discussing roach.
Ian
Eel

hard day on canal

Post by Ian »

a hard days an understatement,I fished from 5:30am til 9:30pm yesterday with not as much as a waver on the float.the tench were rolling early on til about 9ish then nothing showed the rest of the day.there was a north east breeze and the sun was out all day but even at sunset there was not a fish moving.once again the canal has me stumped.i take it its too early for the tincas to spawn but I'm not sure but it has been 20 degrees on average over the past fortnight,very unusual for up here.the tench go to 8lb and there's all sorts of other species but none of them showed,maybe there's some experienced canal fishermen on here who could shed some light on why I could spend 16hrs without a bloody nibble haha.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: hard day on canal

Post by RBTraditional »

The fish are all waiting for the morning of the 16th.... they haven't heard that we've made a complete dogs dinner of the closed season! :tea:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

There is no close season for coarse fishing in Scotland..

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Kevin wrote:There is no close season for coarse fishing in Scotland..
No but then you have all of those wonderful salmonoid species to fish for as well.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Tenchless days on the tench filled Forth & Clyde do happen. Sounds like for whatever reason they didn't have their heads down to feed properly, and are either still spawning or recovering from late spawning. I'd bet a return to more normal weather or cooler and dull early morning and last thing at night would see them get their heads down.

Only proper tench needle bubbles are the certain sign they are feeding by rooting about on the bottom :tea:
niceroach

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

NiceRoach wrote:Tenchless days on the tench filled Forth & Clyde do happen. Sounds like for whatever reason they didn't have their heads down to feed properly, and are either still spawning or recovering from late spawning. I'd bet a return to more normal weather or cooler and dull early morning and last thing at night would see them get their heads down.

Only proper tench needle bubbles are the certain sign they are feeding by rooting about on the bottom :tea:
I think you are right niceroach,the sun has prob ruined,wyndford is hard enough without any other negative factors.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

RBTraditional wrote:
Kevin wrote:There is no close season for coarse fishing in Scotland..
No but then you have all of those wonderful salmonoid species to fish for as well.....
There won't be many of them around either rb,the rivers are on their bones just now.rains needed badly.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I know nothing about The Forth and Clyde, Sir, but I assume it's constructed the same as those down in this neck of the woods.

If so, were you fishing far or near shelf, central channel, or slopes between shelves and the centre ? Did you try switching ?

Probably 'teaching my Grannie to suck eggs,' as they say, but plumbing is essential ... and fishing lighter with smaller hooks if unsuccessful in tempting a bite ... waggler float down to a size 22 hook if necessary. I'd most likely have been gently ground baiting 3 areas to try throughout the day, depending on boat activity.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

AshbyCut wrote:I know nothing about The Forth and Clyde, Sir, but I assume it's constructed the same as those down in this neck of the woods.

If so, were you fishing far or near shelf, central channel, or slopes between shelves and the centre ? Did you try switching ?

Probably 'teaching my Grannie to suck eggs,' as they say, but plumbing is essential ... and fishing lighter with smaller hooks if unsuccessful in tempting a bite ... waggler float down to a size 22 hook if necessary. I'd most likely have been gently ground baiting 3 areas to try throughout the day, depending on boat activity.
Tried far shelf in the morning with the feeder,then near shelf and midway on the waggler the rest of the day Ashby.i was hard on the bottom all day on the lift method.dont get me wrong,I wasn't the only one not catching and I'm not sure when the tincas spawn but it has been very warm up here.hopefully after June things will speed up a bit.great to see the fish are on time this year,if not early.

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”