Big Roach??!!

This forum is for discussing roach.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Big Roach??!!

Post by Santiago »

I'm just wondering if anyone can describe to me how big Roach fight!?

The other night I lost a fish whilst fishing for bream and I'm not sure what it was. It didn't feel big yet put up a hardy battle for about 5 minutes before the hook hold parted, but I know it was no bream, chub, and the runs were not powerful enough for a barbel, and I don't think it was a tench.

And then last night I caught a roach of 1lb1oz (a new pb) and the fight reminded me of the lost fish, albeit over much quicker. Anyways, just wondering if I may have lost an elusive big Roach from the Thames!! Last year there were reports of quite a few being caught over 2lb!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Big Roach??!!

Post by Beresford »

I'm my experience they don't. I've caught them up to 2 1/2lbs on the fly and they give up as soon as they are hooked although they can take flies quite firmly it's nothing like how aggressively a trout might take a fly. I've caught them up to 1 1/4lbs on worms and you can just about reel them straight in. That's using a 12oz T/C light avon rod and 3 lb line.

I'd guess that was something other than a roach perhaps a crucian or small carp or a really, really gigantic roach.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Bigger roach tend to have a distinctive pattern when fighting. Hard to describe in words. Normally a couple of hard pulls and a bit of a glide.
Not sure what bait you were using, could it have been a perch?
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Jag-jag, jag-jag, swirl at the surface and the hook falls out...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks, I was using corn. From your replies I suspect it might have been a small barbel of about 5lb or so, or possibly a big trout. Obviously not a big Roach!

Hemingway

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

Vole wrote:Jag-jag, jag-jag, swirl at the surface and the hook falls out...

:Hahaha:
I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Big roach at the later stages of the fight tend to turn sideways on and viciously yank their heads away from the direction they are being pulled. Small hooks often come unstuck in the process.

I've caught them at other times when they are in a really frisky mood and they have jumped out and thrown the hook. Some of these fish have behaved like this in winter, in shallow water. Sometimes when spawning or cleaning themselves after spawning they are in a frisky mood.
Last edited by Phil Arnott on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

just a thought but could it have been a small catfish as they are in the thames but i dont know how far up they have reached but i know they are breeding as i have seen a few in the 2-3lbs range caught at walton
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

I have caught a few 2lb plus roach and they seem to fight with a jag - jagging feel on the line, just wish they were more common :Happy:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks. I 've now this last week caught a few Thames roach at a about 1lb (weighed on kitchen scales) and lost a few bigger ones, but I suspect the fish I lost was either a barbel, tench, or possibly a trout since it did fight on the surface a fair bit ; either way I'll never know!

Hemingway

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”