lochnaw

This forum is for discussing roach.
Paul D
Barbel

Re: lochnaw

Post by Paul D » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:48 pm

Sounds like a brilliant trip you've got planned Ian, take your camera!!
" I have no intention of changing my habits and fully intend to become even more weird as I age."
The Old Buffer

Ian
Rudd

Post by Ian » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:19 pm

Paul D wrote:Sounds like a brilliant trip you've got planned Ian, take your camera!!
I will be taking the camera paul,im also taking the ipad,that way i put things up on the forum as they unfold and get as many pics up as possible.

Vole
Tench

Post by Vole » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:18 pm

Ian - PM sent
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Ian
Rudd

Post by Ian » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:06 am

IMG-20161126-WA0001.jpg
Lochnaw bathomeric chart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ian
Rudd

Post by Ian » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:16 pm

That's the lochnaw trip finally booked for the 22nd of July,at last.
Can't wait

Ian
Rudd

Post by Ian » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:12 pm

Well my lochnaw trip is only three weeks away and I'm getting excited.ive had a really good think on what baits to use and I think I've finally settled on my choice,bread and sultanas.
I can use three rods so two will be used for perch.
A kilo of Brown crumb laced with black currant essence and hemp oil will be balled in at the start of each session and I will fish over the top with a feeder filled with bread mash and chopped sultanas,with bread or a sultana as hook bait.i might have to ween them on to the sultanas so I won't be using any on the hook for the first couple of nights.
I will be fishing for five nights so the feeder seems the right choice for controlling the feed going in.the mates are planning to fill there swims with boilies but how many can a roach eat before they become full.i will have to stay well away from them and I plan to use two marker floats as an exclusion zone either end of my swim haha.
There are 4lb+ perch so again feeder tactics seem practical but instead of maggots or chopped worm in the feeder I will fill it with cotton wool soaked in liquid worm and a lob on the hook.
I feel it's all about attracting them with very little feed,after all it's mid July,they will have enough natural feed.

NiceRoach
Arctic Char

Post by NiceRoach » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:20 pm

Sounds like a plan :tea:
niceroach

Ian
Rudd

Post by Ian » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:28 pm

3 days to go now til I'm on the shores of lochnaw and apart from the fishing I can't wait to just relax for 6 whole days as I've been very busy over the past month.
The unfortunate thing was that because the weather up in Scotland was bad in June I never got a chance to see how willing roach would be to take a sultana and all I needed was a few hours on the local quarry pond that's stuffed with roach so looks like I'm going in at the deep end.
There was a competition in a fishing mag for four folk for a free week on lochnaw and they were there a fortnight ago and none of them caught anything big so it's not going to be easy and that's good.
I will have to try hard if I want to catch a specimen roach and I will,from 9pm til 9am for six nights.
I will be fishing along side three other guys who will be sitting or sleeping in there bivvys waiting on their alarms sounding to let them know a fish has hooked itself on their Modern baits and rigs.
I think,with my traditional baits and methods I have a point to prove on behalf of the forum,
Traditional fishing methods and baits will always win in the end and they will.

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”