Perch colouration

This forum is for discussing perch.
Macdescruple

Perch colouration

Post by Macdescruple »

Reading about Snape's Perch quest and looking at the pictures made me start to think a bit about the variation in the colouration of Perch in general.
I've been on a similar quest myself this year and the water I have chosen is yielding some sizeable fish and in the main they have been quite Dark fish. The water is very clear and weedy and it seems the better fish are coming from the deeper water (8 feet plus).
The following fish is an example(excuse the poor photo, it was a camera phone). The fish is also covered in weed and grass which had accumulated in the margins so isn't looking his most dapper, but you'll get the idea.

Other fish I have caught from a different reservoir with water of considerably less clarity have been a lot lighter in colour. I guess both water clarity and the age of the fish are contributary factors but would be interested to hear others views. Could diet also be a factor perhaps?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Perch colouration

Post by Santiago »

I've also found the perch are paler when caught in cloudy water and the best coloured when conditions are clear. I think they change to increase their camo pattern for when the water is clearer!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Interesting thread this one. I have found perch are vary variable in their colouration and I find as a rule of thumb the clearer and deeper the water the more vibrant the colours.
This is a couple of example of perch from the Trent that normally flows quite clear except in the winter rains.

I have also caught fish from a very clear and deep former sand quarry that have been wonderfully marked with the most amazing scarlet fins Where as fish from my local canal are almost "washed out" and quite pale and almost yellow in colour.

Have other found this?
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Macdescruple

Post by Macdescruple »

Beautiful Stripeys there Hovis. My question about diet having an effect on fish was just a result of idle musings while I was at work today, it occurred to me that another variance between the two waters I have been targeting for Perch this year was the existence of Crayfish. The small water producing the darker fish has an abundance of Signals, the larger reservoir seems not to be afflicted.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Very interesting Macdesrupe, Most of my bigger 3lb + fish from the river have been predatory and come on livebaits and seem to have much brighter fins than their smaller brethren's who appear to enjoy a more omnivorous diet.

So maybe diet does play a part. Eel are similar in the fact they tend to go more silver and their heads flatten when they become more predatory.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

ChrispDuck

Post by ChrispDuck »

Fished an estate lake yesterday on clay as a result of which the water is very coloured and was really struck by how pale the fish were the smaller ones in particular presented a strange sight as they came up through the murky depths. The best fish was one of 3lb 4oz and I'm waiting for a picture my pal took but when received will post it so you can see the colouration.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Some Cracking fish there Gents. I may have to have a trip to the wye soon. I'm envious. :Hat:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Perch (Perca fluviatilis)”