My First Fish

This forum is for discussing perch.
Mark
Head Bailiff

My First Fish

Post by Mark »

The humble Perch, my first ever fish I caught on a rod and line.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

J.T
Catfish

Re: My First Fish

Post by J.T »

If I am honest, Perch are my favourite species of fish.

I do love a good stripy! :D

Please excuse the hat, it was cold! :oops:
3lbs 3oz, my PB.
"piscator non solum piscatur"

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

What a splendid Sergeant!!! :hat:

Widely associated with the seasons from autumn towards winter, the Perch is a fish that has always fascinated me. My own best is 2lb 7oz and was caught during one of those red letter days. I arrived at the lake in the midst of December to find nobody else there. I was planning to fish a known Crucian bush so I arrived bearing a light float rod, small reel loaded with 2lb line and red gentles and sweetcorn as bait. After feeding the swim with both baits for half an hour with no takers I moved along to another overhanging bush I’d not fished before and found the water here to be a fair bit deeper. First drop with single red maggot saw the float slowly slide away and the first fish of the day was hooked, although it was no Crucian. After a, epic battle with an obviously hefty fish I slipped the net under my first 2lb Perch and a PB of 2lb 1oz. The day got better and better with 10 Perch over 1lb, 4 of them being over 2lb and the best was a 2lb 7oz stripy monster. I also had 3 Roach over 1lb.

This was quite a few years ago and before I started carrying a camera with me, in fact, I do believe it was the day that prompted me to obtain one. The funny thing was that I revisited the following weekend, used the same tactics and could find another perch, even with moving to quite a few different swims. There were a lot of others fishing that day though with method feeders crashing all around me so maybe the extra pressure had put them off. I must go back one winter’s morning and see if they have grown bigger. Talking about it and reliving those memories has made me quite excited, that’s it, I shall try for a new best Perch this winter
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

That does seem to be the way things go with Perch, the same day I caught that fish I also landed 2 other Stripy big boys over 2lbs, was a great day! :P

You do tell a good story SK, you ever thought of writing a book?

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

My first fish on rod and line was a perch all of four inches long. It was caught from Rickmansworth Aquadrome on maggot. My biggest perch was caught fifteen years later not four hundred yards from that very spot, in the canal alongside. It took a live gudgeon and weighed four pounds. Sadly, I have photographic evidence of neither, except in my head.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

J.T wrote:You do tell a good story SK, you ever thought of writing a book?
Thought about it, started a couple but not close to completing anything. Maybe when I've notched up a few more adventures. :wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Let me know when you do, I expect a signed copy. :thumb:

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

He does spin a good yarn, doesn't he!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

A lovely Perch JT. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Cheers Mark. :D

Return to “Perch (Perca fluviatilis)”