My First Fish

This forum is for discussing perch.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: My First Fish

Post by Snape »

Dontknowmuch wrote:The Pen Ponds at Richmond hold one of the land's most sought after carp, the Royal 40.
Blimey if I had known there were fish like that in there when was 12 I would have tried harder!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

stalkingluke wrote:Hi Snape
yes I fished all those places as I grew up in Isleworth, a particular favourite was Teddington Lock, I caught several good barbel from there and Richmond adjacent to the old ice rink on the steps I had a huge bag of big roach one winters day on casters which came to an abrupt end when I slipped on ice and fell in!
I rarely fished Teddington lock but fished Molsey weir a lot and in 1989 even managed to catch a 9lb female salmon in Dec when wobbling a sprat for pike. The national river's authority chap turned up in a van with a tank, took her away and stripped a large amount of eggs from her before releasing her back into the Thames.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I have recently been fishing Teddington. A real treasure trove when it comes to what you might find!! :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Mine was a 2oz perch from Stew pond near Epsom in 1974 [my first year as a teenager & as an angler].

First fish over a pound was a tench from the same pond nearly a year later - an absolute thrill at the time [3 maggots legered on 3lb line & a no. 14 hook].

I had to wait 35 years for my first 1 lb perch [Basingstoke canal] - but I did have 24 years "off" [1983 - 2007].

First & PB 2 lb perch was caught using the same Daiwa rod as for my very first perch & the tench [2lb 3oz - Le Court pond, Hants] but 34 years later!

First proper "fight" - a 4lb barbel on my Peter Stone u/l leger in 1975[Stour]. First chub over 4lb [4lb 4oz] on the same PS leger but in 2009! [Blackwater].

First "good" fish on cane & a 'pin- a toss up between a 2lb+ perch & a 3lb 10oz chub on my grandad's Westley Richards float rod & Trudex.

Happy memories! Wonder why I keep adding to my rods but can't say goodbye to the old favourites?! I reckon all old rods should come with log books of their better catches!

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

As might be gathered from my user name, perch are my favourite fish. It was the first species I ever caught, nearly half a century ago, on a freezing cold day in late December on Crystal Palace Park Lake.

Small ones are willing biters and have saved me from a “blank” on many occasions. Yet the big ‘uns are canny in the extreme, game fighters and in my view a two pound perch is a more worthy quarry than a 20 pound carp

Return to “Perch (Perca fluviatilis)”