air injected lobworm

This forum is for discussing perch.
JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

air injected lobworm

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Has anyone else tried air injected lobworm for catching Perch? I have had some good results over the years using this method, including hooking a big Carp (bigger than my PB of 18lb) which I could not get into the landing net. After a long battle, I foolishly tried to bank it and it came off. If anyone needs syringes and needles I can supply them free of charge. I have various sizes, 2ml, 5ml, 10ml. They are also very handy for oiling reels during servicing.

Julian
Salmon

Re: air injected lobworm

Post by Julian »

JimmyBobkin wrote:Has anyone else tried air injected lobworm for catching Perch? I have had some good results over the years using this method, including hooking a big Carp (bigger than my PB of 18lb) which I could not get into the landing net. After a long battle, I foolishly tried to bank it and it came off. If anyone needs syringes and needles I can supply them free of charge. I have various sizes, 2ml, 5ml, 10ml. They are also very handy for oiling reels during servicing.
Its something I would like to try, but I have always shyed away from doing it because there is a serious risk when you use the syringe . If you actually slipped and injected just a tiny bit of air into yourself then that's it - the end - of everything.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

SparrowHawk
Bleak

Post by SparrowHawk »

Air injected lobworm fished on a wire trace (single hook) in the style of a john sidley eel rig is very effective method for catching pike but be prepared to strike at the slightest movement of the rod tip.Has been known to outfish other methods and unhooking is much easier and more humane than using treble hooks

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I have used it quite a lot but am not convinced it out fishes a regular lob. Maybe it comes into its own over weed.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Its a great method, you can make the worm float off the bottom or for one end to wave tantalisingly as an attractor. Used on a paternoster you can dictate the depth as well which is great when the shoals ore up in the water. We used it to good effect on a deep reservoir back in the 70's.

As for using the syringe, a bit of common sense and care is all you need. If you put a worm in your hand and stab at it you deserve what you get :doh: but holding the worm and pushing the needle carefully does the job with minimal risk. If you do prick yourself - don't press the plunger!

A worm with just enough air to make it sink slowly is a great freeline bait for just about anything that can swallow it.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Funny I've just been reading the 'catch Tench' book and there's a little on air injecting worms. It mentions using it for weedy situations. I've never tried it, I think worms, especially lobs, are too high up the order of animals and it prangs at my heart strings just hooking them never mind injecting air into them; stupid I know, it's always been the case. I still use them to fish with.

I use a syringe for injecting glue into the sections on delaminated rods, that's about my limit.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A bunch of worms - popped up - is ideal for Wels as well as other fish. A hair with a small corkball or polyball attached is used to hold the worms up in the water. They even take them on the surface or just under. It is believed the 'vibrations' caused entice the fish.

I use a syringe every day twice a day - diabetes!

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Prince of Durham wrote:Funny I've just been reading the 'catch Tench' book and there's a little on air injecting worms. It mentions using it for weedy situations. I've never tried it, I think worms, especially lobs, are too high up the order of animals and it prangs at my heart strings just hooking them never mind injecting air into them; stupid I know, it's always been the case. I still use them to fish with.

I use a syringe for injecting glue into the sections on delaminated rods, that's about my limit.
I know exactly what you are saying Marc, I couldn't bring myself to inject air into them and rarely use worms as I don't like to even hook them, same thing as I could never live bait for Pike, tried it once in the 60's, packed up and went home, never again.

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

Rather than injecting worms I prefer to use them on a drop shot type setup where they may be fished at whatever depth one requires.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Like the Prince of Durham I am rather sentimental about using a fine lobworm on the hook. I keep hens and the soil in the run gives me a reliable supply of the paler blue headed type. If I dig up a genuine lob it goes in the box but is the very last to be used and may well travel home to be released

" Nature is our only true touchstone". Maurice Wiggin.

Return to “Perch (Perca fluviatilis)”