Bernard Venables and monster perch

This forum is for discussing perch.
Hannay
Perch

Bernard Venables and monster perch

Post by Hannay »

Thought i'd read up a little on the mighty perch before a trip and this leapt out at me:

"Anywhere a perch of four pounds and more is a very good fish, but there are plenty of perch, as yet uncaught, which are heavier, even as much as ten pounds."

Hoping for a lovely 2lb pirate this winter but now I have an image of a 10lb perch in my head! Quite frightening...

Davyr

Re: Bernard Venables and monster perch

Post by Davyr »

Wow! Which of Mr Venables' many works does that come from? I suspect it's one of the few I don't own.

Hannay
Perch

Post by Hannay »

It's from Freshwater Fishing, davyr. Fairly available from the usual sources. Good basic fishing book from Mr Venables.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Whoops, I do have that one - Can't think how I forgot such a memorable quote! :oops:

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

A perch of 10lb's!!!!! My god! That would necessitate a long sit down afterwards :) I'd happily settle for one of 5lb's. I have had perch to 3.5lb and I am sure they go bigger from the same area but I never seem to get to that place to fish. It is notable that there are no pike (ever reported) but zander may make there way to this particular area (canal). I hope not though.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

How about this:

8lb 4oz perch caught in a Netherlands river:

http://www.fishing-worldrecords.com/sci ... tilis/show
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

One of my friends rang me one day at work and asked if I could get down to the river. He'd caught a colossus of a perch but had no scales with him. He photographed the fish and measured it. I am in no doubt that it was over five pounds, how much over I couldn't say. I expect there are many fish that could beat the British record in Grafham water.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

I fished a small pool last week which has 3 & 4 pounders, and a 6 pounder was caught last year.
I didn't catch any stripeys, but a half pound roach I landed had two large, fresh wounds on its flank.
No pike in this pool, so I'm assuming it was a perch that had a go at it

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

I'd always heard that perch attacked by chopping at the tail of the prey, slowing it down until it could be engulfed. Without teeth, would a perch be able to inflict flank wounds of that sort? I'm only guessing, as I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but could the damage have been inflicted by, for example, a heron?

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

I did wonder that davyr, but the old romantic in me wanted to believe it was a big sergeant lurking in the depths.
They're certainly in there, I've seen the photos

Return to “Perch (Perca fluviatilis)”