Is this an exceptional perch?

This forum is for discussing perch.
Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: Is this an exceptional perch?

Post by Duebel »

Unfortunately, I couldn't get any pictures to post here, but I've been shown a few of perch with 7, 8 and 11 stripes. They are not as rare but still most of the perch around here have 6 stripes per side.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Luga00 wrote:Crumbs, looks like some sort of hybrid. Maybe you've found a the new Zander, Scott!
I'm no expert but shape does look more like a Zander than a Perch or is it just that the fish up north are leaner !
Tight lines
Dave

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Interesting subject, over the years I've seen some very strange marked and weird colouration of perch from very vividly marked and highly coloured fish in crystal clear chalk streams to very boring looking very pale almost off white coloured perch with very little markings at all and then there's what they call the yellow variety which is similar to the fish shown in the first post.

I've come across this before as regards Windermere and Lake District perch, for some odd reason a number of fish appear to be of a yellowish colour and have gained a few more stripes to their appearance as most perch around the uk normally have between 5-7 stripes being average,

Fishing the Thames weir pools for a good number of years most of the 3lb+ fish that I had from IE Teddington nearly all have about 5 stripes,

Something I've been investigating for some time :Hat:

The pic below is of a Lake District perch

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Thames Mudlarker wrote:

Oi! That's my photo! Did you get it from this forum?

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Scott wrote:
Thames Mudlarker wrote:

No mate from here :Hat:

Image Image

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Thames Mudlarker wrote:
Scott wrote:
Thames Mudlarker wrote:

Image Image
Haha! That's my article. Glad to see somebody has actually read it! All the best :Hat:

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Scott wrote:
Thames Mudlarker wrote:
Scott wrote:
Thames Mudlarker wrote:

Image Image
Haha! That's my article. Glad to see somebody has actually read it! All the best :Hat:
And a very good article it is to :Thumb: phew I thought for a moment I was in trouble for putting yer pic up on screen, the idea was to just try and show others the extra stripes that some perch have :Hat:

As I much as I love me roach fishing I'm a bit of a perch nut aswell and research all types of fishing and history of perch :dance2:

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Thames Mudlarker wrote:
And a very good article it is to :Thumb: phew I thought for a moment I was in trouble for putting yer pic up on screen, the idea was to just try and show others the extra stripes that some perch have :Hat:

As I much as I love me roach fishing I'm a bit of a perch nut aswell and research all types of fishing and history of perch :dance2:
Thank you for your kind words :Hat: No, you're not in trouble at all, just wondered how my photo had ended up back on here... :cheers:

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Scott wrote:
Thames Mudlarker wrote:

Thank you for your kind words :Hat: No, you're not in trouble at all, just wondered how my photo had ended up back on here... :cheers:
Ok mate, no worries :Hat:

Be lucky :fishing2:

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Many of the perch I catch on the Trent have 5 stripes.

"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Return to “Perch (Perca fluviatilis)”