Why only small Perch

This forum is for discussing perch.
Beryl

Re: Why only small Perch

Post by Beryl »

Wallys-Cast wrote:I used to fish a small reservoir which regularly produced perch over the 3lb mark. But once carp where introduced into the water it coloured up and the big perch were very rarely seen.
They were still sometimes caught as the night drew in and usually on dead baits meant for pike.
It was assumed that their vision had been impaired by the muddy water which made them hunt by scent alone. It was also noticed how their bright colouring vanished and they changed to a dull brown.

Wal.
Interesting.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Have you tried a very small suspended deadbait?(hooked through the back) Whitebait are good and I have had success in the past with say three lip hooked for pike, the bites are ferocious!!

PS.. forgot to add if they don't catch you can eat them later. :Thumb:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I fished all the season before last solely after perch. I used a float near to any marginal features such as trees or lilly pads and the best I got was a 6 ounce fish (Pretty as a picture though) I was a little distraught because all the other chaps would tell me their stories of how they caught a 3lb perch when they hadn't even been trying for them. It got quite annoying.

Anyway,

In the end I decided I wasn't going to fish specifically for perch, I used a prawn as hook bait but I was quite satisfied that I would catch all different species on a small prawn and I did. I caught mainly carp (Greedy buggers) but also Bream, Tench, roach, rudd and perch (Small ones) but then one day sat there waiting for a bite, I managed to hook a big perch of 2lb 7 ounces and was chuffed to bits.

I think the best way to catch them is not to fish for them.....such is fishing....full of surprises.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Harry H wrote:
MGs wrote:Ondex and Mepps always did it for me. I'll give them a go on our lake when the water looks less like builders tea
Really like the Ondex spinners if I could only have one lure in my box it would be one of those :Thumb:
Another vote for the Ondex spinners, :Thumb: they are superb perch baits.

Wal.

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

It's quite likely that the water you are fishing does not contain any big perch. Not all waters are suitable and even waters which apparently contain lots of food such a small fry do not necessarily grow big perch. If you want to catch big perch then fish a water known to contain big perch.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

I fish a water that contains thousands of small perch,I've fished it for many a year and apart from 3oz fish I've only had 1 about half a pound.that tells me there could be big perch in it.the problem is how to catch them.when perch reach 3 or 4 years old they generally decide what direction in life they take,cannibal or to keep eating other food types.cannibalistic perch gain weight fast and will take a dead bait readily.i suspect there will be big perch but in a small pack.try concentrating on using a dead bait,with a small perch being ultimately the best but a sprat will catch them,as long as there isn't pike.a 3lb perch could take a 4oz deadbait no prob.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Return to “Perch (Perca fluviatilis)”