Perch, the biggest fish of all, ,,,,,,, twice!

This forum is for discussing perch.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Perch, the biggest fish of all, ,,,,,,, twice!

Post by Mark »

What lovely perch, well done Leveller.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

MrChubby

Post by MrChubby »

Lovely fish Leveller.
A similar thing happened to me today. I'd never caught a two pound Perch before, but today I caught two! The first came in at 2lb 1oz, followed about twenty minutes later with another of exactly 2lb. Definitely not the same fish either, despite what my other half thinks. Both on prawn, floatfished just off the bottom in the margins of a local pond.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Lovely fish, I love perch. My biggest is only three inches but after being told that perch of 3lb+ reside in the pool I now fish, I can't wait to target them. I watched as the littlens jumped out of the water today, scattering as a predator crashed amongst their schole. In quiet contemplation, I day-dreamed of catching a whopping great sergeant, then my float shot under. You'll find out what it was in my write up later. :Wink:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Well done! Perch really are the most beautiful when big!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

MrChubby wrote:Lovely fish Leveller.
A similar thing happened to me today. I'd never caught a two pound Perch before, but today I caught two! The first came in at 2lb 1oz, followed about twenty minutes later with another of exactly 2lb. Definitely not the same fish either, despite what my other half thinks. Both on prawn, floatfished just off the bottom in the margins of a local pond.
They do go around in shoals so if you get one you'll likely get several. My local pond can yield five 2lb'ers in the hour and half before dusk. Must get out there soon (once Oct comes).
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Remember what Dick Walker said, a big Perch is the biggest fish of all. Was he right or was he right!

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

Cheers lads.

I went again to test out more flavours,
I had another good perch but also had an inconvenient accident ,

Some invisible force jammed a barbed hook in my thumb, the previous times this has happened, I've cut the eye off and pulled it through but this one had gone into my thumb nail and the barb was jammed under the nail,

My little pliers were useless and pulling the hook did nothing so, off to A and E stinking of fish, with my centrepin and rod,
Piddling down with rain , four attempts to find a machine to pay £3.50 to park, then waiting in the que and listening to people arguing and basically a break down in communication from "customers" to reception.

You might think I looked and smelt abit out of place, muddy jeans, soaking wet fishing jacked , slime and a rod and reel, but after looking round, the A and E waiting room was like a film set for a zombie flick,

Moaning and groaning, blood, pain the works, (and that was just the staff) so I got the last bit of herbal tea out of my flask and began the wait! Playing guess the injury.
Four hours later......... An ex ray, four injections in my thumb, afew small spurts of blood, I thanked doctor Walsh who was from Gloucester and about twelve years old , picked up my rod and reel and drove home,

Yesterday I did a couple of hours at a local pool with my neighbour , I couldn't tie a loop in the line on account of my thumb, so asked one of the lads, which he kindly did, I've fished this pool (not very often) for about four years and never caught a carp, , , , , just before packing up time, three bream and an army of perch the float dipped and the cane rod bent over, the aerial match centrepin was emptying fast, after the first run, mr carp ran toward the pads under my bank , to my left, the only thing I could do was to pull towards the pads so the carp would go the opposite way, (which it fortunately did) I saw it was a common, not a monster but my first carp, he made a big splash on the top (I think just to get everyone's attention) before he parted with me! I could hear laughter, and I remembered why I stopped carp fishing,
On the way out, my buddies start to point out that I shouldn't be losing fish etc etc, I wasn't going to say anything but when I pointed out the weakest part of the tackle was the loop slipping! The jovialities stopped,
"Oh no I'm really sorry about that" , I pointed out that apart from the fish still having the hook, it's just one of those things and anyway I couldnt tie the loop because of my thumb.
If it had been a big perch I would have killed him and buried him in the woods.

I was actually chuffed to bits just to have connection and at least my landing net wouldn't stink on the way home.

Yeah so careful with the barbed hooks, I'm sure a lot of you will have suffered this inconvenient injury before, just go steady!!

Ps, I can verify that I felt no pain , only resistance!

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Nice one Leveller.... Cracking Perch..... :Thumb: I was out with Pacman this weekend.... a stunning blank, but a great social...!
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

Another Session after the stripeys, it's safe to say I'm very happy!
2:5oz being the biggest
There were three of us fishing yesturday, my bait was tweaked with two flavours, the same as my previous visits, to here and the river, one of the other chaps (unbeknown to him) had one flavour added and the other used neat bait.

I started catching straight away, including a chub from the canal which is a first for any of us, most of my fish being perch!
The other lads were catching but at a much slower rate, the secret single flavour, pulling only perch!

Then after an hour, the barges stared ploughing through mixing it all up! And the guy next to me (neat bait) started catching .
I think I shall come back when it's a lot colder and hopefully the boats won't be as busy.
Best of luck fellow perchers!

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

Bluelabel wrote:Nice one Leveller.... Cracking Perch..... :Thumb: I was out with Pacman this weekend.... a stunning blank, but a great social...!
Pm mister blue label. :tea:

Return to “Perch (Perca fluviatilis)”