Pike/Livebaits

This forum is for discussing pike.
Hovis
Tench

Pike/Livebaits

Post by Hovis »

While I uploaded some pictures of the first day of the river season I came across these pictures of pike that were taken at the back end of season from the Trent(tidal). The fish in the pictures range from 18-26lb (zander is around 9-10lb)and were all taken on small livebaits. I always used to fish deadbaits but now I find by fishing a livebait my results are much better I have also found it’s so important to match the size of the prey fish the pike are feeding on (no hard when catching the baits from the same area). It always amazes me how a 4” livebait can be ignored yet put a 6” one on (to match what the fish are feeding on) and it can be away in seconds.
It’s also worth noting that I only ever fish a single treble lip hooking the bait and lowering it directly into the flow. The speed that Pike/Zander and Perch can swallow a bait is frightening and I never want to cause and un-due suffering to fish. Does anybody else out there livebait?
Last edited by Hovis on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Pike/Livebaits

Post by Santiago »

I fish the same way for perch. One can spend an hour or so spinning for them and catch nothing, but put a minnow on and you'll catch a whopper within a minute!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Always a contentious issue but I am not a fan of livebaiting. Not wishing to start a debate here, just my personal belief.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Great fish sir... :Thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

Fine catches Bread Works, I've used minnows in the past, they work well on perch and bass.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Cracking pike Bread Works :Thumb:

I`ve absolutely no problems with live baiting, I`ve had some great chub, perch and pike. I`ve got half a mind to tempt the odd barbel or two with a minnow....

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Good job BW :Thumb: You're almost smiling too I'd have a great big grin catching them badboys
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Thanks for the comments guys
I didn’t mean to kick the bees nest by asking about livebaiting it just something that I do and enjoy. As I stated before I only use a single treble and lip hook the live baits. Interestingly I have thrown a lure a hundred times into the same section and had not so much as a follow? Anybody else ever experienced this?
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

"One can spend an hour or so spinning for them and catch nothing, but put a minnow on and you'll catch a whopper within a minute!"....Bigfish :Ok:

"Interestingly I have thrown a lure a hundred times into the same section and had not so much as a follow? Anybody else ever experienced this?"....Breadworks

Just shows how good livebaits are compared to spinning!!

Sometimes I get a similar response to lobworm when float fished right next to a structure!!

I too enjoy livebaiting and hook the bait in the same way, but use a single hook, often a No.6 or a No.8.

I didn't think your initial post warranted a debate on ethics so was pleased to find that metaphorically when you kicked the bees' nest they were all out collecting honey. And may I suggest any such debate should be started on a new post; this thread is about the employment of the method for those that use it! :Sun: :Sun:
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

On their day lives can outfish deads or spinners but not always. I do use them when I can but have found that on my part of the Wye, winter lives are all but impossible to catch and I won't bring them in from elsewhere.

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”