Circle Hooks

This forum is for discussing pike.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Circle Hooks

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Could someone recommend a good brand of circle hooks for pike fishing please?
Many thanks.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Circle Hooks

Post by Dave Burr »

I favour Owner Mutu light circle hooks in size 4 and 6. They look ridiculous but are very effective and fish friendly.

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

I agree with Dave, but I crush the barb down as they are very obtrusive, I also tend to use the heavier gauge version.

Isis
Perch

Post by Isis »

Gamakatsu 221414 In-line Circle Hooks in size 4/0
Being In-line they don't catch-up inside the mouth but only on exit.
Unfortunately not available in the UK but have to be imported from the US as they are only made for the American market.
Sold in packs of 6. Definitely worth the extra money in postage (or import duty if you order over £50 worth).

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Isis wrote:Gamakatsu 221414 In-line Circle Hooks in size 4/0
Being In-line they don't catch-up inside the mouth but only on exit.
Unfortunately not available in the UK but have to be imported from the US as they are only made for the American market.
Sold in packs of 6. Definitely worth the extra money in postage (or import duty if you order over £50 worth).
You can buy them in Germany, if there isn't any chance to get these hooks in the UK.

http://www.gerlinger.de/gamakatsu-lose- ... escription

I do not really trust circle hooks. Last year I a gut hooked a small catfish using a circle hook.
Do they really work for pike fishing? How do you attach the bait to the hook?
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

In the states their Bass boat fishing matches,the anglers get an extra point per fish if it was caught on circle hooks.

Kingfisher2007

Post by Kingfisher2007 »

The only time I have fished with circle hooks was in the Florida Keys for Tarpon. They reckon it raises the catch rate. Can't complain..

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Guru QM1 are in sizes 10 up to 18 size 16 is the best grayling hook I have ever used
Bumble

JAA

Post by JAA »

Bumble wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:26 pm Guru QM1 are in sizes 10 up to 18 size 16 is the best grayling hook I have ever used
Bumble
I've used the QM1's a few times as well, thought them pretty effective.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Bumble wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:26 pm Guru QM1 are in sizes 10 up to 18 size 16 is the best grayling hook I have ever used
Bumble
I adopted these as my Grayling hooks a couple of years back, I think from a mention on here and my hooking to landing ratio certainly appeared to improve. These last few weeks I have found a few grayling on a stretch of river that never used to have any (I accidentally foul-hooked one whilst chubbing). Since then I have been enjoying finding a few pockets of Grayling. There appears to be quite long stretches devoid of fish but some spots they appear to be in abundance. The problem I'm having here with these seemingly un-fished for fish is one I never used to have whilst bait fishing for grayling and that is deep hooking and I'm finding the QM1 a bit of a nightmare to get out with a disgorger.

Anyone found an answer to this or a particular disgorger that seems to work with them? I never had these issues on the Dove and really liked the hooks but now feel loathe to use them on this other river.

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”