After dinner mint?

This forum is for discussing pike.
Aquaerial
Chub

After dinner mint?

Post by Aquaerial »

What started off a warming sort of day had become chilly again by the time I could turn the computer off and get down the lake for a little Friday afternoon respite from a busy week. I opted to 'freeline' a smelt over what is a summertime weedbed but where I quite fancied a queen or two may be tucked away prior to spawning. Water temperatures had dropped considerably this week so I was hoping the theory that few of us refuse a small titbit of a mint after a meal would apply to my choice of bait and it worked. Try as I might though I could not find another but overall a worthwhile few hours. Twickenham later so a good finish to the week....hopefully. Mint anyone?

Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Badger
Grayling

Re: After dinner mint?

Post by Badger »

Very nice. Not wafer thin at all. :Wink:
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Cracking fish sir, well executed.....I tempted one on a worm tipped with red maggot on my roach rod and 4lb line.....had fun getting it in the net, usually reserved for perch.....led me a merry old dance....ha!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Nice fishing chaps!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Ah "The Waffer Thin Mint " theory I remember it mentioned on a fishing program with Wato Watson Pike fishing on the Norfolk Broads. Can't remember the name of the presenter maybe Mark .......... or the program :Confused:Nice fish though :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done Aquaerial.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Harry H wrote:Ah "The Waffer Thin Mint " theory I remember it mentioned on a fishing program with Wato Watson Pike fishing on the Norfolk Broads. Can't remember the name of the presenter maybe Mark .......... or the program :Confused:Nice fish though :Hat:
Do you know Harry before making that post I wanted to reference it properly but try as I might I could not remember where I first heard it but pick it up somewhere I did for sure and I hope some of the forum members benefit from the concept on those 'starvegutting' cold days after Esox.
It may well have been John or 'Watto' as he is affectionately known...like most of us Broadsmen he has an opinion on just about everything and likes to share it!
Aquaerial

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Aquaerial wrote:
Harry H wrote:Ah "The Waffer Thin Mint " theory I remember it mentioned on a fishing program with Wato Watson Pike fishing on the Norfolk Broads. Can't remember the name of the presenter maybe Mark .......... or the program :Confused:Nice fish though :Hat:
Do you know Harry before making that post I wanted to reference it properly but try as I might I could not remember where I first heard it but pick it up somewhere I did for sure and I hope some of the forum members benefit from the concept on those 'starvegutting' cold days after Esox.
It may well have been John or 'Watto' as he is affectionately known...like most of us Broadsmen he has an opinion on just about everything and likes to share it!
It was indeed him,I think the original quote was from a Monty Python sketch. I can remember them sitting in a boat saying" Waffer Thin Mint " in a dodgy French accent. Basically they were saying no matter how much the Pike had eaten it wouldn't be able to resist the Sprat wobbled past its nose in the same way you still eat the Waffer Thin Mint after you have just eaten a 3 course meal.
The Guy with him Mark? Also presented Carp Crew with lots of "Yes get in there my son" :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

The Guy with him Mark? Also presented Carp Crew with lots of "Yes get in there my son"

Goodness Harry the things people will do for publicity in their quest to be a 'professional angler'...that sounds ghastly..really Watto was fishing with him??? poor chap- he is intolerant of any other angler on the Broads normally!
Aquaerial

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”