Timing of a strike when using circle hook rigs

This forum is for discussing pike.
TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Timing of a strike when using circle hook rigs

Post by TrentFisher »

Evening Gents

Just after a little advise from anyone who has experience of using circle hooks when pike fishing.
I have in the past used the Vic Bellar's hooks where the in general you tighten to the fish after a take ,maintain the pressure, you normally feel the moment when the pike turns the bait and then strike is made.I use these as single hook rigs (Archie Braddock described this in more detail when his diary was available on the net)

So after the digression is the process with circle hook rigs the same,your comments will be well received.

Regards
Nige.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Timing of a strike when using circle hook rigs

Post by Dave Burr »

I use exactly the same method with circles TF. Once a fish has taken the bait I wind down to it and take up the fighting curve, your hook should be neatly in the scissors. I think that pike 'turn' baits far quicker than we give them credit for and, as I tend to used fairly small baits as a rule, there is no benefit in delaying the strike.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I also didn't think you struck with circle hooks just wound down... thanks for the confirmation Dave :Thumb:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Many thanks Gents for sharing your knowledge,I thought this may be the case but nothing better than confirmation from experience users ,as always the fishes welfare is always at the top of list.

Kind Regards
Nige.

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”