Centre-pin reel for piking

This forum is for discussing pike.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Re: Centre-pin reel for piking

Post by MaggotDrowner »

No it didn't. The float is self made and perhaps a little big! :oops:

It whizzed across the surface well though! :Chuckle:

I wasn't bothered by the size that day though. It was the fish I had when I went after 7 species in 7 hours - all on cane and pin. So they all counted, regardless of size. :Sun:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

The Avon Royal Eagle seemed to go well with the 3 lb TC North Western glass rod . I used an old standard Polaris float but to be honest could have done with one of the Polaris Pike floats when it got a bit windy.
I've never had a pike on a centre pin so I would have been very grateful for even a 3 lb one .
The pike run to 30 lb but are used to being fished for and have 115 acres to hide from me in so I suspect it might be while before I report back how the reel peformed actually catching something ......

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

ive thought of using my ray Walton pin for piking

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

Apologies for the rod, if it's any consolation , it was an old one,

Uprated barbel master no problem!

Purist reel is built of solid stuff

The carp was 41' 13,

I've also used a ray Walton reel which is built using strong stuff, however I had garry Mills take the rotating element of the reel out so that it's a fixed reel, I know it sounds daft but I like the tapered spool which still gives you the option of side casting the reel.

My purist reel is the 2030 4inch a very good all rounder, when it first came out is was the closest thing you could get to a new aerial and was modelled on the aerial match they can be picked up reasonably priced on tinternet.

KenSowerbutts
Grayling

Post by KenSowerbutts »

A Milwards Gyrex 3.5" is what I will use, dates I think from the fifties but still working great
Knowledge comes but Wisdom lingers

Hamburger
Rudd

Post by Hamburger »

I also use the little Gyrex for pike or zander fishing - especially when I use heavy spoons or plugs. Very reliable, lovely bakerlite reel with a simple but effective tension nut.
I said goodbye to what I knew and embraced the ways of old, with it taking on the attitude that big isn't best.

Stuart Harris, 'From Carbon to Cane'

Damflask
Grayling

Post by Damflask »

I use a Ray Walton Rolling pin.
Please excuse the rod in this picture. It was from my dark pre-cane past!

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Some fabulous looking pike – they really are beautiful creatures. Not sure I'd lay a fishing reel on one. As Watermole+ and others would rightly say – fish care…

I also have a Youngs 2030. I really rate it very highly and really enjoy using mine. Worth seeking one out. I like the size, the optional line guard, the switch position and action and particularly the solid drum. I also think it looks gorgeous as well in the understated bronze finish. I bought mine mint second-hand, probably unfished, from a dealer as I wanted one in a hurry.
Last edited by Beresford on Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

I use a Marco Cortesi Mk11 and a Mordex Merlin both are 41/2'' x 1'' both work for me.
I do most of my Piking on rivers and don't use huge baits.
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I have just acquired a Youngs Seldex which would be suitable for piking. As an aside Damflask( I live about 1 1/2 miles away)has fished very poorly for pike as far as I am concerned,this season . I have fished it three times (once in the company of Bendsomecane)and not had a run. I have been drop shotting for perch fairly regularly and again not caught any perch, although I did lose a good chub at the net. In my view Damflask is poorly managed for angling by Sheffield City Council.
Mark Davies

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”