fry feeding barbel?

This forum is for discussing barbel.
Frenchman

Re: fry feeding barbel?

Post by Frenchman »

Martin wrote:They fish with lures for barbel on the continent think I might have a magazine article somewhere on it

Taken on a 2" plastic shad, it's still in the mouth. It's not the only barbel I've taken on a lure.

I've got a theory that coarse fish are more predatory over here. A sweeping generalisation now, everything seems to spawns a lot more successfully over here, perhaps it's the slightly warmer temps, and there as a lot more fry knocking about. I couldn't count the number of perch I've taken on maggots in the UK, I've not caught a perch on maggots in 4 years in France!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Remember the 16lb barbel caught out of season on the Avon on a spinner whilst the captor was salmon fishing? Bigger than the barbel
record at the time! Col Crow was the name I think.

Margin Creeper

Post by Margin Creeper »

Barbel have been unintentionally caught by salmon anglers on many an occasion. I've witnessed carp caught on small live baits, intended for big perch and I know it's not strictly predatory behaviour but I've heard of a large barbel being caught on a section of lamprey (intended for pike) from the Severn. Fishing minnows for barbel is nearly as old a method as fishing with worms! :Wink:
It is true that most of our native species are largely omnivorous, opportunistic feeders and will take advantage of any free meal; fish eggs, fish fry and small fish are indeed on the menu for many fish that are rarely considered to be true predators.
As an aside, I doubt the effectiveness of fishmeal based baits relies solely on their being of a high nutritional value! :Wink:

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

there is a whole chapter in the fighting barbell about fishing with minnows for barbel

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”