Length to weight chart.

This forum is for discussing barbel.
Hovis
Tench

Length to weight chart.

Post by Hovis »

Hi Guy’s,

Does anybody have an idea what barble weigh in line with their length. I know that this is an open question as their will be variables. But I caught a big barble on Thursday that when measured against my rod but was 29”-30” long. I did weigh it at the time and got a reading of 13lb+ but after looking at my scales the face has been resting on the dial giving false readings. I caught another of 11.5lb on Friday night and weight it on new accurate scale but the original fish was so much bigger in every respect. I was wondering what the other may have weighted? As another angler said it was the biggest had ever seen and had caught a 15lb from the Severn not that long ago.
Any help appreciated guys.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Length to weight chart.

Post by Dave Burr »

There is a fairly accurate measurement to weight scale for pike but not, as far as I know, for barbel. 30" is still quite short for a good double, I believe most of the lumps that came out of the Great Ouse were about 32" long but had fat bellies. Also, at this time of year barbel are still quite empty unless there's been a spate and they've really got their head's down. Even looking at a picture its often difficult to judge size as barbel have an ability to look huge from one angle and lose several pounds from another.

Did you take a photo? Did you measure it accurately? If not the you'd better go and catch it again preferably in March when its at top weight :Hat:

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Thanks Dave,

I have photos yes of a few barble for comparison. The fish was very thick set as most of the tidal Trent barble seem to be even at this time of year. I have a picture of it next to the rod which I am guessing is 24” long and have based the 30” measurement on that. I’ll have a proper measure tonight and see if this is accurate.

Izaak Walton

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Tigger wrote:I don't think it's much over ten pound but I reckon it's a few ounce over(it doesn't count though as I can't be sure what it weighed...darnt-it) lol. That's the problem with barbel and chub, they look much bigger than their actual weight.
I agree with that one!

I have been lucky and caught quite a few double figure barble but this one simply looked so much bigger than the others!

maybe I'll just have to go back and try and catch on that big again :Happy:

Izaak Walton

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

That's why we call it fishing not catching.

Never had one from the Trent on a float so that may be a new challenge for me!

Izaak Walton

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

The trouble with pictures like that is that you are holding it away from your body which distorts the perspective and immediately makes it difficult to judge the weight. I wouldn't like to estimate your fish's size - but I would like to have caught it trotting :Happy:

The old test when looking at fish trophy shots is 'Will that finger fit up that nostril', if not then its pushed toward the camera.

Personally, when I have a trophy shot taken I hold the fish like this.....

It shows the true dimension which makes estimation easier and, for Hovis, it would be possible to work out a length in the event of no or dodgy scales.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Tricky one that, last year I had my pb barbel,weighed 12 pound 2 and was 31 inches long. The fish in my avater was just 9 pound and was 24 inches long.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I think you will only every get a rough idea of weight from length. I've caught numerous barbel of about the same length, where the weight varied wildly.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Again, its so difficult. It looks an eight, maybe as big as nine but I always err on the conservative side when estimating. From my experience I usually know when a fish is over the 'ten' when I roll it on its side in the landing net, a 10.01 some how looks much bigger than a 9.15. Nowadays I rarely weigh fish under nine pounds anyway.

But I know your fish is single figures as that looks like your trotting gear and you haven't had a double on that yet :Happy:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Strong looking fish, a proper scrap on a float rod - lucky old you :Hat:

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”