Double figure Barbel before breakfast anyone?

This forum is for discussing barbel.
Hexapin
Bleak

Double figure Barbel before breakfast anyone?

Post by Hexapin »

This morning I took the ledgerstrike down to a small bridge pool on the Sussex Ouse, about 20 mins drive from my house. Matched it up with a trudex with 6 lb mono. 3 swan shot on a link ledger, free running. Hair rigged monster pellet (don't usually fish with pellet but I was after a Barbus Maximus). 15 mins in the water and I had a stonking screaming run which I hit and then played what felt like quite a large relatively lively fish. It took a while for me to see it and when I got my first glimpse through the very coloured water, it looked so big I thought it was a common carp. I thought it was too big to be a barbel. Then it came up again and I couldn't believe it, it was a Barbel.

I didn't have any scales with me and to be honest the fish was very spawned out. The poor thing looked half starved and very lean. You can see in the photo its less than full belly area and marks on its fins, side and belly from the gravel bottom.

I call it double figure because if it isn't its very close, however once this fish is up to weight its going to be 12 or 13 lbs. its incredibly long. I estimate looking at the photo and measuring from the but ring down 2 thirds of the handle on the ledgerstrike that its 36+ inches long!

Its amazing how these monster fish live in these tiny waters. The pool I caught it from is 3 to 4 rod lengths wide and the same length and the stream running in and out of it is one rod length wide. However, being a weirpool it has plenty of oxygen and food to support bigger fish. Not to mention the American crayfish which is devastating to young fish stocks but making our adult fish bigger and stronger than ever.

After the Barbel I moved on down to another swim and had a couple of nice chub. Then I packed up and went to work and no one was any the wiser.

Lovely ...
PBBarbel (360x640).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Re: Double figure Barbel before breakfast anyone?

Post by Luga00 »

Great fishing Hexapin!

Superb barbel.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Excellent result Russ, a great early mornings angling, well done Sir. :Hat:

Wal.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Simply marvellous, Sir ! :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Well played that man
Bumble

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Like It!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Well done! I want one of them before the season ends.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Cracking way to start the day
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Hexapin
Bleak

Post by Hexapin »

P.S. Mal, I'm very glad I didn't decide to christen the Isis this morning.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Hexapin wrote:P.S. Mal, I'm very glad I didn't decide to christen the Isis this morning.
Oohhh ... now that would have been 'fun' !!!!! :Hide:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”