Mr Bob Brookes (dream maker)

This forum is for discussing barbel.
Mick
Chub

Re: Mr Bob Brookes (dream maker)

Post by Mick »

Well done Jeremy! A great day out for both of you and all in the true spirit of TFF. Bob, you are a star!

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

It was never going to be easy. I have never seen the river lower than it was yesterday and the sky was cloudless. The air temperature was about 28C but the 'beach' where we were sat was considerably hotter that. Not only that the water was clear, even though the Trent usually tends to carry a tinge of colour.
I chose a spot where there is fast broken water with deeper, slower, water on the inside crease. It was a relief the the first fish put an appearance and even better when Jeremy caught the first barbel. The good thing was all the fish went off strongly after a little rest. All in all it was a great day with some welcome fish and in smashing company.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

As a very lucky individual who has spent a day in Mr Brooke’s company on this river, I too cherish it as a very special angling day in my life.

Well done on the fish, hats off to Bob, yet again giving time to other anglers so they can achieve their dreams, at the expense of his own ambitions.

It looks like a lovely day, I know the chat flowed freely, the surrounds look magnificent. Days like this don’t come around too often.

Cherish it.

Rgds

Neil
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Well done Jeremy, a great write up and lovely pictures of a day you will never forget.

As Neil has already said, Bob is certainly a one off when it comes to giving his time and hospitality, and sharing his vast experience freely and always in a relaxing and humorous way.

Dream maker, yes most definitely.. keep making them dreams come true Bob and enjoy your holiday.

Wal.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Well done Jeremy.sounds like you had a great day
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

Excellant , well done gents :Hat:
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Well done guys that's Tff at its best :clap: :Hat:

ExiledSoutherner
Gudgeon

Post by ExiledSoutherner »

Looks like a lovely swim, Jeremy. Well done on what was an excellent session. Did Bob catch?

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

ExiledSoutherner wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:10 am Looks like a lovely swim, Jeremy. Well done on what was an excellent session. Did Bob catch?
Oh yes indeed ES. In fact Bob hooked the first fish and handed the rod to me, coached me on playing the fish, landing it properly and how to rest it prior to releasing it. I was amazed at the power of these fish when they swam off. Bob went on to catch more barbel and some fantastic chub. It was the most fantastic day and I consider myself very fortunate to have been taught the basics of barbel fishing by such a generous, experienced and expert angler.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

ExiledSoutherner
Gudgeon

Post by ExiledSoutherner »

Must've been a wonderful day, Jeremy. I have to agree about catching barbel - they really make the heart race!

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”