The lower Severn

This forum is for discussing barbel.
Skeff
Crucian Carp

The lower Severn

Post by Skeff »

I am looking for some good barbel water for the coming autumn. The upper Bristol Avon that has been my haunt for the past ten years or so is now almost devoid of barbel and I'm contemplating looking further afield. The lower Severn sounds like a possibility or the Wye; does anyone have any insight into the clubs/waters i might investigate? I'm looking for larger fish rather than numbers of barbel. Thanks! Skeff

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: The lower Severn

Post by Paul F »

Mark,
I would say if you are after larger fish, you are best looking at the Severn, although Dave Burr will fill you in with advice on the Wye.
Look at the BAA (Birmingham Anglers) book, it is cheap and lots of water
Alan's tackle Worcester will sell a day ticket for West Diglis £6
Get your name on the waiting list for Worcester Angling Society (approx 2yrs) they have a lovely 3 mile stretch of the Wye and almost 10 miles on the Teme for £40
Best,
Paul

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone that knows anything about the water immediately above and perhaps even below Maisemore (applying the principle of 'out out' that's probably 'lower lower' Severn!)
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

You probably have, but I would speak to Lawrence Breakspear. If anyone knows the Lower Severn it's him. :Hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

i fish the lower from time to time and i can tell you it can be hard fishing the best time is when there is some water on it i went last week to well known baa stretch and there was a few people there may be six people there i hooked what felt a decent fish but it came off no one else that day hooked one but the river was fairly clear. i fish another place on the severn which is still on lower which used to fish its head off when the was water on it I've cought a lot of doubles in that area but you would have to put thumb screws on me to tell you on open forum site. by the way worcester angling society is a very good club but there is a two year waiting list if you live outside 15 mile radius of worcester they have some great barbel fishing on teme and the wye . but the baa have loads of barbel fishing on miles and miles of river bank not only severn you could also try warkishire avon there are big barbel in there

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I fished the lower Severn for a few years back in the 1990s. There was some good fishing. I had a lot of good size bream bags (fish to 6lb). Many good chub around 4lb. Barbel were not plentiful but 10lb fish were a good possibility. There is a free stretch at Ripple (north of Tewkesbury) which used to fish well. Above and below this stretch the water is controlled by BAA, also worth a look.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

by the way the record barbel a few years ago came out of the lower severn at 16 pound but that's was before the big fish came out of the ouse. thirteen and 14 pound barbel come out on regular basis but there are big fish which come out of middle nowadays as for the wye its very hard to catch a doable out of the wye but there are plenty of smaller fish

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

pm sent

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”