Traditional Carp Strains

This forum is for discussing carp.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Traditional Carp Strains

Post by Olly »

I have access to an old strain of carp as it has to my knowledge never been stocked. That said it could have been - donkeys years ago! The carp have never grown big, a 12lber being a monster, and they are a slim build similar to Danubian carp - long and lean.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Chaps I've yet to put a piece on here yet about this fish I caught last Friday, but does it meet the definition of a 'wildie' to you ?
DaveImage

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

JohnHayes wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:50 pm Gary Bills from a discussion on cheshunt put very well what I am trying to find out:

“Victorian/Edwardian commons (in cases and photographs); and comparing them to modern kings - usually the marked difference I have described above can be noted... And we still lack the knowledge and terminology for big "Pre-King" carp, such as the initial Cheshunt stock and the Croxby fish...I suspect that these were the product of quite advanced selective breeding well before Thomas Ford, perhaps over 100 years before - but who bred these "Old English Commons"? Cheshunt, I believe, was only built in the 1830s - so who provided the carp? Is there a significant fish breeder/importer still to be discovered?”
I still think that's a valid question - some of these early "pre-king" commons were pretty deep: Mr Andrew's "record" carp from Cheshunt was stuffed, and you can see it was a deep carp: not at all like our notion of a wildie. Kevin Clifford is right - the golden era Cheshunt carp were not wildies: but what were they? Where were they sourced from, back in 1830 or thereabouts?

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Rutland Rod wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:44 pm Chaps I've yet to put a piece on here yet about this fish I caught last Friday, but does it meet the definition of a 'wildie' to you ?
DaveImage
Whatever but that is an absolutely splendid Carp - very well done indeed.

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

I was fishing last month for Wildies at Chiddingstone Castle in Kent.
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

So that yellow round the lower part of the tail and its "wrist" is found in Wildies, then? I'm afraid I may have offended a few blue-blooded fish by muttering about granny being a koi; my apologies to any such fish reading this!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”