A Day in the Garden 1972.

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Fredline
Tench

A Day in the Garden 1972.

Post by Fredline »

What a lovely afternoon, everybody’s out, so there is just me, a bottle of chilled Sauvignon Miles From Nowhere and a small stack of Angling magazines from 1972. The Australian wine has a kick like a mule and is one of the clearest wines I have ever drunk coupled with a name that only the Aussies could come up with.
The gardener has worked hard, it looks really nice.
4 mags and 2 glasses later I find myself giggling at an advert. Why is an ad for “Geoffrey Bucknall Floaters” amusing? Grow up. The Dicks, Walker and Orton and Reg Righyni feature very heavily in these magazines and nearly always offer the voice of reason but it is amazing who they allowed into their publication, Chris Tarrant? “Things that go bump in the night” an article on catching Kennet Barbel. Considering he looks about 12 at the time it is not bad.
More wine.
“Now who would wear a hat like that?”
Aha, The New Reel Competition on the Junior Angler page, this will be a doddle. 6 statements some are false, no problem. It’s that bloke again, is he in every magazine? “The quest for big match tickets gets to be-------” Not for me, turn over. An Eefgeco advert, very comforting and redolent of the early 70’s, all is right with the world. Next is a very good article from Brian Harris entitled Farm Pond Crucians. "I took a Bruce and Walker CTM 13 footer with me and a reel" ???? Ok but what reel? Memo to myself “Look for a farm pond and always mention the reel". He’s back, “There are many reasons why we do not always catch fish as often-----------” turn over, thats better an Ian Gillespie article on Jersey. Who remembers “The Golden Maggot?” It seems soo long ago. I find an Olivers ad on the adjoining page and treat myself to one of every model in their complete range, £300, bargain of the day. I have already bought 10 Match Aerials at £6 10s each so I am happy.
Wow that Terry Eustace must been the smartest dressed man I have ever seen with a fishing rod in his hand.
The answers to my Junior quiz questions that I smashed out of sight are in the July edition. I do not have the July edition. I will just give myself 6 out of 6 and claim my prize.
Last page of the last magazine “Live your leisure life in luxury”. At the moment I think I am.
More wine and mags? “I think you have had enough” says the gardener who has appeared as if by magic.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

NiceRoach
Eel

Re: A Day in the Garden 1972.

Post by NiceRoach »

Excellent read :tea:
niceroach

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

:Hahaha: Sunstroke?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Brilliant :Thumb:

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Dave Burr wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:37 pm Brilliant :Thumb:
Hi Dave, did you notice the page the magazine was opened on the garden table?
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Fredline wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:16 am
Dave Burr wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:37 pm Brilliant :Thumb:
Hi Dave, did you notice the page the magazine was opened on the garden table?
I did indeed :Wink: I wonder if in 60 years someone will read an old 'traditional' magazine with one of my own articles...... probably not :Chuckle:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

A lovely read, Somewhere in my loft I have a complete set of Angler's Mail Annual's. I bet they will reveal some interesting facts if I look through them again!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”