Angling poetry and art

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Cane
Grayling

Angling poetry and art

Post by Cane »

Looking through some of the older books of angling, I often find that it includes a bit of poetry giving a insight into fishing that remains true today (for TFF members anyway), and sometimes a drawing or painting that can be interesting because of the fishing equipment detail, or because the picture sums up the artists feeling for the subject.

Anyway, as the subject hasn't been covered before, I thought I'd give it an outing, so here goes with a piece from 1880, contained in "Every boy's book":

Angling
When I was a mere schoolboy,
Ere yet I learnt my book,
I felt an itch for angling
In every little brook.

An osier rod, some thread for line,
A crooked pin for hook:
And, thus equipped, I angled
In every little brook.

Where sticklebacks and minnows
Each day I caught in store,
With stone-roaches and miller's thumbs:-
These brooks afford no more.

But I a little angler,
With crooked pin for hook,
Would shun each noisy wrangler,
To fish the little brook.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Re: Angling poetry and art

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi Martin, The first two verse I copied into my fishing Diary a few years ago but now I have four. My notes attributed the poem to Thomas Pape book/catalog 1879/1902 . He being the brother of William Rochester Pape of Newcastle (Gunmaker).Never- the- less a nice poem.

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Tonkin Wand wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:29 pm Hi Martin, The first two verse I copied into my fishing Diary a few years ago but now I have four. My notes attributed the poem to Thomas Pape book/catalog 1879/1902 . He being the brother of William Rochester Pape of Newcastle (Gunmaker).Never- the- less a nice poem.
Thanks for that. I was wondering where it originated from.
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

A great many of the 18th and 19th century ''''views" that include rivers or lakes tend to include drawings of anglers and boats. Most of these are brief sketches only. Sometimes though, there are more intriguing examples such as the one below, from a view of Leicester, across the river Soar. I've magnified the characters involved and they appear to be engaged in buying something from a couple of boys. One of the boys is holding a basket and the other, what appears to be a box with a lid. By the way one of the anglers is holding his hand over the basket, you might think that the artist intends us to believe that it contains bread, but what is in the other container?
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Cane
Grayling

"God grant that I may live to fish until my dying day"

Post by Cane »

The following poem was found in the Bazley and Weatherall book on "coarse fishing" (part of the "Sports and Pastimes Library). 1946 reprint.

"God grant that I may live to fish
Until my dying day;

And when it comes to my last cast
I then most humbly pray,

When in the Lord's safe landing-net
I'm peacefully asleep,

That in His mercy I be judged
As good enough to keep.

(H.Burman)

A quick search on the web for information about the writer only came up with the interesting fact that this poem is also available as a T-shirt, in the USA!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Cane
Grayling

The Angler's Companion

Post by Cane »

I picked up a copy of this wonderful book over the weekend at a charity shop. "The Angler's Companion" by Bernard Venables (1959 edition). It has to be one the best works that the author/illustrator produced. Very simple explanations for all aspects of traditional fishing, including equipment, fish, and places to visit (rivers and canals mostly). His illustrations are very clear and the coloured illustrations of plugs and flies are terrific, if a little muted in the printing. I see that there are a few available on eBay and surprising cheap too. If I didn't have one, I'd want one for Christmas!

Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Cane
Grayling

Angling in art by Tom Quinn

Post by Cane »

"Angling in Art" by Tom Quinn (1991), is a must for anyone interested in Angling art. The book also briefly notes some of the earliest known examples (Egyptian 1,400 BC) of illustrated angling, although I have to say that I'm not entirely convinced that the chap in the chair is angling in any way familiar to later "brothers of the angle". Possibly some form of netting instead.
The illustrations really get into their artistic stride from the 18th century and the book has many good paintings and the odd drawing, covering the subject, right up to the 1980's. Sadly, not all are in colour, but still worth owning, in my view.

My favourite painting, which can be seen in colour, if you look for it on the "Tate" museum website, is "The Enthusiast" (or "The Gouty Angler") by Theodore Lane 1800-1828. I think that many of us can empathise with his frustration at not being able to get out and go fishing, at some point in our lives. His solution to the problem is not something I think my wife would appreciate though!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Cane
Grayling

Cotton and Walton tribute 1837

Post by Cane »

Many years ago, I was perusing a stand at a boot fair and overheard two women talking about a small book. one was saying, "I can't imagine who would buy this!" Intrigued, I picked up the book and it is fair to say that it was a tad tired and short on content, but it was clearly a heartfelt tribute to two angling legends and therefore worthy of a place in any anglers library.

Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Thankyou for posting these lovely interludes of calm, thoughtful insight. As you say there is not a whole lot that separates us from them so to speak. The posts have made me start to look for the older book as well as old plates - a lot of which I hope to find when I go to Hay later.
Many thanks.
Peter
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

"Colombia's pride?" "Visions sublime before my fancy gleam..." What were they smoking?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”