'Waterlust' a new book by Robert Olsen (author of 'Tom's Book')

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Tengisgol
Barbel

'Waterlust' a new book by Robert Olsen (author of 'Tom's Book')

Post by Tengisgol »

Some of you will know that Rob is my best fishing mate so I guess this does have the whiff of a 'plug' about it. However, quite a few others will have bumped into Rob at times, in the bar at The Red Lion, or out and about on the beats at Bredwardine, and have got to know him a little. But as I said earlier on one of Nobby's posts, I consider my fellow TFF'ers to be my friends and I wouldn't recommend something to a friend that I didn't believe in. I think this book is just fabulous.

As Rob gathered a new collection of his stories together, I wasn't at first quite sure whether it would work as well as 'Tom's Book' had (his first book, which was highly acclaimed) but gradually I realised that this was perhaps an even more interesting work. I collected my copies yesterday from Stephen Harper and the production is just superb http://www.harperanglingbooks.co.uk

It isn't a book specifically about traditional angling as such but there are enough references to cane, pin, Kelly kettles and campfires to put it squarely into the category of 'a book of interest for tradional anglers'. Rob has a traditional approach to his angling, and his love of water, and applies that wherever he is, whether using his Wizard and Ambidex, or perhaps something more modern.

The book covers Rob's angling journeys from early morning jaunts to the Wye for barbel and salmon, across Ireland for rudd and tench, Spanish carp on old cane rods to fishing in Mongolia and then India with Subhan. All the time he approaches it with a down to earth humour and humility. He is a true artist, having illustrated the book with his own work (very much in a Bernard Venables style, who was a friend of Rob's) and his own photography.

Enough from me. Maybe if someone else buys a copy they might do a review, my attachment is too great I suppose but knowing my friends here as I do, I think you'll all thoroughly enjoy it.

Edit, incidentally I think Rob is going to be interviewed by Nigel Botherway on Fishermans Blues next Sunday, goodness knows how that will work but by all accounts the Interviewer thoroughly enjoyed his review copy, enough to invite Rob onto his radio show - personally I think Rob is more at home at the bar or on the bank but we'll see!

You can enquire here if you are interested http://www.harperanglingbooks.co.uk/waterlust.html

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: 'Waterlust' a new book by Robert Olsen (author of 'Tom's Book')

Post by Dave Burr »

Mine's on order - can't wait.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Ordered my copy too, looking forward to it, Tom's book is one of the best modern books I have read to date.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Dave Burr wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:30 am Mine's on order - can't wait.
Me too.

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Like the look of this one, thanks for the info :Thumb:
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Mine arrived this morning, it's a lovely book.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

I've read a few chapters and its a very good read so far ive ordered a leather as i have a collection by the same publishers harper fine angling and they one best publishers on the market

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

This is the first book I have read from beginning to end for a long time!. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Dave@ Hastings

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Gentlemen, Rob is going to be on Fisherman's Blues in the morning, set your alarms!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Mercman
Roach

Post by Mercman »

My daughter's other half usually buys me some form of clothing for my birthday, and this year my daughter asked what I would like and I pointed her/ him in the direction of this book.

I have not read it as yet, but it looks fantastic and I am looking forward to getting into it in the next week or so after flicking through it the artwork looks supurb.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”