The Way I Fish.

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

The Way I Fish.

Post by Tonytoned »

Hello there

My next read turned up today. "The Way I Fish by Dennis Pye. Ive always been interested in Dennis Pye the Man.

:read:

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: The Way I Fish.

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I bought a copy of this book in 1964 I think new for 6/- or thereabouts and I still have it. At this time I used to spend a lot of time fishing in Norfolk on the Broads but mostly around the Stalham area and occasionally Barton Broad. Dennis Pye fished mostly around Hickling Broad which was a few miles further east.

I understand that there were later to be some issues regarding Dennis Pye and some of his claims but the story of the monster Pike he lost still remains in the memory and of course the Pike record did eventually fall to a fish from Hickling.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:44 am I bought a copy of this book in 1964 I think new for 6/- or thereabouts and I still have it. At this time I used to spend a lot of time fishing in Norfolk on the Broads but mostly around the Stalham area and occasionally Barton Broad. Dennis Pye fished mostly around Hickling Broad which was a few miles further east.

I understand that there were later to be some issues regarding Dennis Pye and some of his claims but the story of the monster Pike he lost still remains in the memory and of course the Pike record did eventually fall to a fish from Hickling.
I'll have to keep my eye out for an earlier copy. It so interesting to hear others members stories. I did hear about the claims of the lost pike.

Thank you PershoreHarrier. :Hat:

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

The story of the monster Pike Dennis Pye lost is recorded in the book you have - or it should be as it is in mine. My book was published for Angling Times Limited by Kingfisher Books (E.M. Art & Publishing Ltd) - Copyright 1963 - first published 1964 - sadly as a lad I threw the dustcover away when it was torn but otherwise it is a fine copy which I re-read from time to time and still enjoy although Dennis Pye's live baiting is not something I could do nor in fact ever have. There is a super little map at the back of the book of Hickling Broad and up to Horsey Mere on which Dennis Pye indicated the areas for different species of fish - I trust your book has that little map.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:14 pm The story of the monster Pike Dennis Pye lost is recorded in the book you have - or it should be as it is in mine. My book was published for Angling Times Limited by Kingfisher Books (E.M. Art & Publishing Ltd) - Copyright 1963 - first published 1964 - sadly as a lad I threw the dustcover away when it was torn but otherwise it is a fine copy which I re-read from time to time and still enjoy although Dennis Pye's live baiting is not something I could do nor in fact ever have. There is a super little map at the back of the book of Hickling Broad and up to Horsey Mere on which Dennis Pye indicated the areas for different species of fish - I trust your book has that little map.
Thank you I'm looking forward to reading it.

:tea:

Mercman
Roach

Post by Mercman »

Funnily enough I attended the Pike Anglers Club Convention in Kettering last Saturday and bought the very same book

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Mercman wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:54 pm Funnily enough I attended the Pike Anglers Club Convention in Kettering last Saturday and bought the very same book
I've started reading the first couple of pages and it does look good.

:tea:

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”