The Expert Roach Fisher by J.W.Gosling

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
MrCrabtree
Rudd

The Expert Roach Fisher by J.W.Gosling

Post by MrCrabtree »

I have been discussing The Expert Roach Fisher (1934) with "Stour Otter" and have been surprised to find that it was published with two completely different dustjackets.
My copy has a wrapper that has no picture,as seen in the photo below, whereas we have seen other copies that have a wrapper showing an angler fishing from a boat and catching a fish.
As the editions are all 1934 any thoughts as to which was the first to be printed and why the publishers bothered to print different wrappers for them?

ImageImage

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: The Expert Roach Fisher by J.W.Gosling

Post by Paul F »

I have the same copy as yours,and too have seen the pictorial wrapper version.

I understand on good authority, that it was printed 1st with the pictorial jacket, but sales were not as expected, so they reduced the price offering a plain DJ, the book itself was printed only in 1934.

It is one of the scarcest roach fishing titles, a nice read too

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I have the edition with the cover photo on the dust jacket ... let's just say that editions without a dust jacket of any kind are ... well ... most collectable !!! :whistle:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Good morning gentlemen. If I was to stumble across a book with this title in one of our second hand bookshops I would most certainly be interested in buying it. But I have never heard of the book or the author. Now I do have some lovely old books such as Roach Fishing by Faddist published in 1936. I wondered whether the book you are discussing offers good content and or new insights. Alternatively you may feel that is a rehash of much similar material that was available at the time?
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

I've got this book (no DJ!) but it's fairly basic stuff.

I have the rare 'Angling for Roach' by Faddist which is the earlier version of 'Roach Fishing'.

Of the early roach books 'The Book of the Roach' by Fennell, and 'Roach, Rudd and Bream Fishing' by J W Martin offer more insights into roach fishing.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have both Faddist and Fennell books. Still very interesting books which give details of how to go about roach fishing in the 60's & 70's. Still valid today - if you can find the roach.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Thank you gentlemen, I shall keep a keen eye out for some of the titles that you mention.......meanwhile I'm off down the road to prebait a couple of swims.....
John Harding

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

....roach swims by the way....
John Harding

MrCrabtree
Rudd

Post by MrCrabtree »

Many thanks for the information and good luck with the prebaiting

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

You'll be lucky to find a paper copy of Greville Fennell's book, but it is findable, free, online.
It really is fascinating, almost like an internet forum, because he had a huge range of friends to whom he'd write and exchange views, opinions and information; he always gave full credit, so everyone seems to have been happy to chat with him; a bit like Walton, but with a much better Post Office to work with (And Walton was not above a spot of unacknowledged plagiarism; Berners' layout is all over his first chapter, but nary a mention, as far as I can remember (an increasingly variable measure of actuality, I'm afraid). And he taketh the p. out of one of her recipes. Cad!).
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”