reference books

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Dusty1
Stickleback

reference books

Post by Dusty1 »

Hello all

I am fairly new to traditional tackle , and have lost count of the hours i spend on the internet trying to track down answers to problems , or finding solutions.

is there a definitive book or books that would be useful to this end.

It would also be handy if they didnt cost the national debt

Regards

Dusty

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: reference books

Post by AshbyCut »

Would that there were, Sir !!! A considerable part of what was my bank balance is now sitting on bookshelves about my home ... much to My Fair Lady's dismay ... as they take up space that she could use !!!

However ... you've arrived here in the TFF ... where questions are welcomed ... and answers given freely !!! Ask away, Sir ... ask away.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

My wife always gets that weary look when the postman arrives with a parcel. Could be another book...
All the books always raised new questions. Answers I found here on TFF!
Still enjoy reading. Bobby

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Angling Ways by E. Marshall Hardy is a comprehensive book on the older styles and a later 1963 edition covers most of it, cheap, too.

https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=s ... g%2520ways

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I've not come across a definitive book but A History of Carp Fishing, Drop Me a Line and Chris Ball's books are all very good as describing the MkIV Carp rod and its development. They also cover other carp fishing tackle. But of course that might not be at all what you are interested in so I can only really echo what others here have suggested – 'ask away'. The depth of knowledge and very often the speed of response here makes this a great resource. As a group a wide range of fishing styles and experiences are covered giving the opportunity for answers regarding less well known items to have been bought/used/restored by members.

Sometimes questions will give rise to interesting debate.

I first bit I'd advice I'd give is – don't be in too much of a hurry to buy.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

As much as i love reading i don’t own any books on fishing , i always post a question on here and one of the fine members as usually answered it by the end of the day
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

STILLWATER ANGLING
by Richard Walker.
From the rod to the "business end" simple sensical methods and baits that still catch fish.
Amazon have used paperbacks for under a fiver.
Trad=simple.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Most on here have forgotten more than I know about traditional tackle and for that reason I am always looking at the posts on here to basically pick peoples brains. Those on here use their tackle as well as collect/hoard it as well, so have a good working knowledge knowledge of what is what in the traditional tackle world... and what is paid for it!. As was said earlier, ask, ask, ask you have the TFF virtual book of traditional tackle right there at your fingertips via your keyboard. :Hat:

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”