Recalling a memory.

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Windjammer

Recalling a memory.

Post by Windjammer »

Hi all, I've been away for some time and angling has taken a massive back seat in that time. I'm not so keen that due to snow melt and massively fluctuating temperatures having created a sticky wicket go so I'll stick to the intraweb until things improve.
Anyway, back to the topic. I have an early memory from the late 70's-early 80's about glancing through a copy of an old book at the local library. I cannot remember the title or author but it was a fishing book,possibly the excerpt I'm writing about was penned by Pete Thomas or maybe Maurice Ingram. It concerns the author fishing for large tench in a heavily weeded water and refers to using a Mk2 carp rod due to it having more power than the subsequent Mk4. Well that's the gist of it, and ,I'm not even sure it was a Mk2 mentioned now that I've seen references to the Mk3 and SU Mk4 which were both of beefier attitude than the Mk4.
I have read both Drop me a Line and Woldale but there is little connection aside from Woldales lower lake being weedy and with big tench, however the piece I read was not in that book so does this ring a bell for anyone? I'd like to read it again for obvious reasons as it's gnawing away in my head.
Toodlepip!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Recalling a memory.

Post by Dave Burr »

Welcome back Windjammer and for posing the New Year Literature Quiz :Chuckle: It's beaten me.

JAA

Post by JAA »

Windjammer wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:30 am Hi all, I've been away for some time and angling has taken a massive back seat in that time. I'm not so keen that due to snow melt and massively fluctuating temperatures having created a sticky wicket go so I'll stick to the intraweb until things improve.
Anyway, back to the topic. I have an early memory from the late 70's-early 80's about glancing through a copy of an old book at the local library. I cannot remember the title or author but it was a fishing book,possibly the excerpt I'm writing about was penned by Pete Thomas or maybe Maurice Ingram. It concerns the author fishing for large tench in a heavily weeded water and refers to using a Mk2 carp rod due to it having more power than the subsequent Mk4. Well that's the gist of it, and ,I'm not even sure it was a Mk2 mentioned now that I've seen references to the Mk3 and SU Mk4 which were both of beefier attitude than the Mk4.
I have read both Drop me a Line and Woldale but there is little connection aside from Woldales lower lake being weedy and with big tench, however the piece I read was not in that book so does this ring a bell for anyone? I'd like to read it again for obvious reasons as it's gnawing away in my head.
Toodlepip!
That rings a bell with me. I checked in 'Still Water Angling' but it's not in there.

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

I think the writer you are recalling was John Ellis a close friend of Maurice Ingram and a founder member of the Tenchfishers. John fished the heavily weeded lower lake at Woldale which both he and Maurice believed held huge tench (8lb plus) which swam there. John wrote about fishing there in the old Angling magazine and also contributed a chapter on tench fishing to John Normans "Coarse Fishing with the Experts" ( Ingram, Thomas and Walker also contributed chapters) and although John does not mention Woldale Lower Lake by name he writes about fishing a heavily weeded water with very big tench in it. He also mentions using powerful rods such as a Mk1V to deal with them.
The Lower Lake, it's tench and John Ellis are also written about in Drop Me a Line and I believe ( from memory ) The Carp Catchers Book. Walker also wrote about the big Lower Lake tench and John Ellis in several articles in Angling and his column in the Angling Times.
Coarse Fishing with the Experts is a very nice book and covers speciman hunting circa the mid fifties.

Windjammer

Post by Windjammer »

That's an encouraging post, I've just bought a copy for £3.90 posted so we'll see what it has. :read:

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Windjammer wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:30 am Hi all, I've been away for some time and angling has taken a massive back seat in that time. I'm not so keen that due to snow melt and massively fluctuating temperatures having created a sticky wicket go so I'll stick to the intraweb until things improve.
Toodlepip!
That rings a bell with me as well - possibly in Fred Taylor's Favourite Swims or John Norman's Fishing with the Experts and as a long shot Colin Willock's Coarse Fishing. I do not have that many fishing books but I do recall reading about those tench.

Windjammer

Post by Windjammer »

Well it wasn't in Fishing with the experts so the hunt goes on. I've got a bug gnawing away here....I'll look for the carp catchers club literature. .

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”