Vintage Fishing Advertisements 1955 & 1965 - 66

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Re: Vintage Fishing Advertisements 1955 & 1965 - 66

Post by Black Prince »

Fantastic thanks for sharing them with us I will take my time to read them :Thumb: mike

Surrey Martin
Roach

Post by Surrey Martin »

Thanks as it as good to see Jeffries of Guildford where I remember browsing as a young lad and saving up to buy tackle from Xmas and birthday pressie money
Cheers
Martin

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Penninelad wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:07 pm It was lovely to see a small advertisement for Dawson's of Holme Lane,Sheffield my favourite tackle shop for the last twenty years and still going strong despite competition from the internet giants.I would urge anyone within striking distance of Sheffield to pay them a visit.They are a great source for vintage rod rings and everything else.
Thank so Penninelad. It's great to hear the stories, they're really interesting. :Thumb:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Black Prince wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:22 pm Fantastic thanks for sharing them with us I will take my time to read them :Thumb: mike
It's a pleasure Black Prince, enjoy. :Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Surrey Martin wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:11 pm Thanks as it as good to see Jeffries of Guildford where I remember browsing as a young lad and saving up to buy tackle from Xmas and birthday pressie money
Cheers
Martin
I'm glad you've found something of interest. Thank you for taking the time to look.

:Hat:

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Thanks for sharing these - I think the language used is so interesting. I would imagine that many of the subjective claims made in advertising of this vintage wouldn't be allowed these days... but I think it's what makes them such fun to look back at.

Cheers
Steve

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Most enjoyable. I've just invested in R.E. Threlfall's book "On a Gentle Art" as a result! For less than a G&T, too. If it's as much fun, I'll report back.

So many London shops I wasn't aware of! Probably just as well; the bus-fare there and back wouldn't have left much (any) pocket-money to spend.
I remember Dad (a non-angler, probably acting on the advice of a workmate) taking me to Benwoods in Church Street to buy me my first fixed-spool reel, an Intrepid "Regent"; for years after that, Paddington seemed like a pilgrimage destination to me.It also boasted Proops of Praed Street, who advertised scientific goodies in the "Exchange and Mart", so the place was Mecca, Canterbury and Walsingham rolled into one. If I'd known there was "The Fishing Hut" more or less round the corner, I'd probably have got myself into proper trouble (or had to get a paper-round... idle g*t).
I also remember tramping round all the shops in the main shopping area of Edgware, looking for Chubbs. Mollison Way is well off-piste, so I returned disappointed. Had I but had the wit to look in the phone directory for the address... are all teens as gaumless as I was?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Excellent! Some interesting stuff there.

One thing of interest in the early adverts is the price of reels. Compare the price of the Mitchell 300 to the Barbour jacket - almost the same price! It's an indication of how the use of low labour cost countries has brought down the cost of tackle.

Also interesting to see that Milbro had an site in Huddersfield, presumably their southern distribution centre.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I'm slightly intrigued by the 'Mars Oil'. was it shipped i from outer space or did it assist as you worked, rested and played?

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Shed_Monkey wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:18 am Thanks for sharing these - I think the language used is so interesting. I would imagine that many of the subjective claims made in advertising of this vintage wouldn't be allowed these days... but I think it's what makes them such fun to look back at.

Cheers
Steve
Thank you Steve, your welcome. :Thumb:

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”