Vintage Fishing Advertisements 1955 & 1965 - 66

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Re: Vintage Fishing Advertisements 1955 & 1965 - 66

Post by Tonytoned »

Vole wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:07 am Most enjoyable. I've just invested in R.E. Threlfall's book "On a Gentle Art" as a result! For less than a G&T, too. If it's as much fun, I'll report back.

So many London shops I wasn't aware of! Probably just as well; the bus-fare there and back wouldn't have left much (any) pocket-money to spend.
I remember Dad (a non-angler, probably acting on the advice of a workmate) taking me to Benwoods in Church Street to buy me my first fixed-spool reel, an Intrepid "Regent"; for years after that, Paddington seemed like a pilgrimage destination to me.It also boasted Proops of Praed Street, who advertised scientific goodies in the "Exchange and Mart", so the place was Mecca, Canterbury and Walsingham rolled into one. If I'd known there was "The Fishing Hut" more or less round the corner, I'd probably have got myself into proper trouble (or had to get a paper-round... idle g*t).
I also remember tramping round all the shops in the main shopping area of Edgware, looking for Chubbs. Mollison Way is well off-piste, so I returned disappointed. Had I but had the wit to look in the phone directory for the address... are all teens as gaumless as I was?
Thats really interesting Vole. Thank you if I find anymore advertisements in will post them.

:Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

SeanM wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:45 am Excellent! Some interesting stuff there.

One thing of interest in the early adverts is the price of reels. Compare the price of the Mitchell 300 to the Barbour jacket - almost the same price! It's an indication of how the use of low labour cost countries has brought down the cost of tackle.

Also interesting to see that Milbro had an site in Huddersfield, presumably their southern distribution centre.
Yes that was interesting about the 300. Thank you Sean.

:Thumb:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Dave Burr wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:37 pm I'm slightly intrigued by the 'Mars Oil'. was it shipped i from outer space or did it assist as you worked, rested and played?
It's a great name. Thank you Dave

:laugh1:

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”