Fishing Gazette Authors

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Fishing Gazette Authors

Post by Santiago »

I am just near finished reading a book 'Angling from many Angles ' by The Silver Doctor, and I have also read a couple of fishing books by LA Parker. All of these books are fantastic reading and stand out way above most other traditional fishing literature. Both the Silver Doctor (Lewis Smith) and LA Parker regularly wrote articles for the Fishing Gazette. Never having even seen a copy of this fishing magazine I am not familiar with any other authors that contributed, nor do I know how long the magazine was published. However, what I am most interested in is finding out the names of other contributers and finding out the titles of any fishing books they may have written. If anyone can help that would be great.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Luke
Grayling

Re: Fishing Gazette Authors

Post by Luke »

From memory I believe it ran from the 1860s to the 1960s. I might be wrong but am probably not far off. In any case that amounts to a very long list of contributors! There have been a couple of anthologies published using articles taken from the FG. They may be a good introduction to contributors that you can then look into further.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks. I have just ordered The Bright Stream of Memory, which is one of these Fishing Gazette anthologies.

Hemingway

Grinner
Ruffe

Post by Grinner »

The Fishing Gazette was founded in 1870 and was acquired by Robert Bright Marston in 1878. It ran to 1962, then for a few years as the Fishing Gazette and Sea Angler, until Oct 1966. As mentioned, the list of notable contributors is indeed very long, in the form of articles and correspondence, to name a few: Theodore Gordon, Frank Sawyer, Hugh Falkus, Richard Walker (including his first paid for article) and a believe the likes of Halford, Skues, Senior et al.

Fred Buller wrote of it in his acknowledgements in The Domesday Book of Giant Salmon:
"I am sure that I have thanked the Fishing Gazette and its editors in every one of my eight books but in this instance I do not wish to check the validity of this statement for fear of finding that my previous thanks have been inadequate. The Fishing Gazette is an institution that contains a huge volume of raw, and pre-digested, material for many as yet unwritten books and it will continue to give leads into rich seams of research for those who delve with intent."

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Grinner wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:40 am The Fishing Gazette was founded in 1870 and was acquired by Robert Bright Marston in 1878. It ran to 1962, then for a few years as the Fishing Gazette and Sea Angler, until Oct 1966. As mentioned, the list of notable contributors is indeed very long, in the form of articles and correspondence, to name a few: Theodore Gordon, Frank Sawyer, Hugh Falkus, Richard Walker (including his first paid for article) and a believe the likes of Halford, Skues, Senior et al.

Fred Buller wrote of it in his acknowledgements in The Domesday Book of Giant Salmon:
"I am sure that I have thanked the Fishing Gazette and its editors in every one of my eight books but in this instance I do not wish to check the validity of this statement for fear of finding that my previous thanks have been inadequate. The Fishing Gazette is an institution that contains a huge volume of raw, and pre-digested, material for many as yet unwritten books and it will continue to give leads into rich seams of research for those who delve with intent."

Now that's what I call an endorsement..

Wal.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks chaps. Certainly, from reading Lewis Smith's Fishing Gazette articles, with regards to coarse fishing, it was decades ahead of it's time. Even greats like Bernard Venables, in my opinion, do not match some of the writing therein ; especially on species like chub and pike.

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Apparently, FW Walbran, as mentioned in a current thread, also wrote articles for the Fishing Gazette, concerning grayling, and wrote on this species in the How to Catch Them series. Moreover, according to Moley, his writings were of super quality and as relevant today as they were decades ago when first penned.

Hemingway

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

A good one is a book by mr bucknall the golden years of the fishing gazette.
It on fly rising but is a very interesting read.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks. I ordered it yesterday, by it's other title 'The Bright Stream of Memory '.

Hemingway

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”