'England have my bones' by TH White

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

'England have my bones' by TH White

Post by Rutland Rod »

After reading Helen McDonalds prize winning book the Hawk in which TH White is spoke about and quoted from I got a copy of the above book which is his story of a year in which he Fishes, Hunts, Shoots and learns to fly ! As far as the fishing goes it's about his quest for salmon and trout but he does go Tench fishing, talks about Snakes and rural life in general, he likes a drink and spends a lot of time in pubs !

It's a reflection of how sporting life was in the 1930's for the middle classes ( he was a teacher at a public school ) and I found the book very entertaining, I know nothing about flying but enjoyed this bit of the book, TH Whites the Goshawk is a classic of its kind in how he trained his hawk to hunt. His
personal 'tastes' in his private life are not everyone's cup of tea but of course are not present in the book, you can pick up the paperback widely for a few quid. It's an unusual book and not I would guess to everyone's liking but for something a bit different I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Tight lines Dave

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Re: 'England have my bones' by TH White

Post by The Old Buffer »

"God keep my soul and England have my bones."
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

Have just started reading the seventh impression hard back. Cross referencing the flies he's using really brings the book to life. What a corker.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Signed first edition £1,500! One to look for at Oxfam......

Capebreton
Perch

Post by Capebreton »

.....a good read

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I hope so, I just received my copy through the post today. Though I did have to spend a huge amount, 250 of your English pence, p&p free :Hahaha:

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Might give that a read, followed your process too Rod, Helen's book is wonderful, like to have the time to keep a Hawk!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

I'm reading this at the moment, enjoyable enough so far.
Mushy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:02 pm Might give that a read, followed your process too Rod, Helen's book is wonderful, like to have the time to keep a Hawk!
Me too. I've been inspired after watching some selected scenes, for the umpteenth time, from 'Kes' and reading TH White's 'The Goshawk'. Like you say, requires a lot of time.

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

ImageImageImage

I'm blessed with two good friends who keep raptors and sometimes bring them to play at Ashmead. Lloyd Buck trains birds for the BBC and elsewhere and Martin Cox and his wife Sharon run a local rescue centre...

I love England have my Bones and The Goshawk and would love to own a raptor one day.... Actually, I'd love to own a barn owl! England have my Bones used to be Chris Yates favourite book when I first met him (he may have found another since then!) and he gave me my copy, which is one of a few books I read every year.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

That's interesting Skeff, now I must definitely buy a copy!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”