'BB' The Fisherman's Bedside Book

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Santiago
Wild Carp

'BB' The Fisherman's Bedside Book

Post by Santiago »

I've just received a copy of this book from Lea Dweller (Ted) as an early Christmas present simply because he liked the look of my amber tipped quill floats which reminded him about a chapter in this book that he thought I should read!

Thanks very much Ted for your very kind generosity. I shall be reading it tonight :read:
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: 'BB' The Fisherman's Bedside Book

Post by Lea Dweller »

I think that all of you float makers should read (If you haven't already) the chapter entitled "floats" by H.T.Sheringham. It is one of the nicest, most descriptive pieces of writing that I have come across. Float fishing is without doubt my most enjoyable way of fishing, so I suppose it is natural that I would like it. Treat yourself for Christmas!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Yes I agree Ted. I've just read that chapter and will read it again later tonight. I particularly liked the bit at the end about it always appearing that the angler in the next swim has the better float!

Hemingway

TeesFisher

Post by TeesFisher »

An excellent book, by coincidence I am re- reading "Confessions of a Carp Fisher" and will be on with "Bedside" in a week or so. I read them every couple of years.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I think that people's views on floats varies an awful lot, I have always liked bird quills, particularly jointed bird quills! My favourite float used to be made from elder pith and crow quill, I used it even when another float would have been more efficient, I just loved the way it looked and "rode the water" I tend to not fish running water that often, so I tend to use "bottom end only" floats, but I have still collected quite a number of "avon" type floats, strange that! I think the quote "A float tip is pleasing in it's appearance, but even more pleasing in it's disappearance" is very relevant!
Confucius

Capebreton
Perch

Post by Capebreton »

I still remember the little perch bobber style float I had when young....magical to see it bob 'bob 'bob and then away

TeesFisher

Post by TeesFisher »

Same with me, red tip of course!

TeesFisher

Post by TeesFisher »

Capebreton wrote:I still remember the little perch bobber style float I had when young....magical to see it bob 'bob 'bob and then away
Same with me and my brother, red tipped of course ! Still fascinated by rivers and ponds.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I still remember the first time I went float fishing and it was with a bobber and dad said "watch the float and wait until in goes under and then strike" (and he showed me how to strike and reel in). Anyways, I watched the float for what seemed hours whilst the sun caught me unawares and gradually burnt the back of my neck. The other boys all reeled in and re-cast every 10 minutes or so and got into all sorts of tangles and kept dad busy, whilst I sat as instructed and quitely watched the float that just sat there on the glassy calm surface. Then of a sudden with no warning there was a quick bob or two before it disappeared just leaving a few ripples, and with a quick lift of the rod I felt my first perch shake it's head on my line before shouting "dad" for help! He told me it was a perch, and it was the only fish we caught that day!

Hemingway

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

What a lovely story, early childhood memories stay with you!
Confucius

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”